PDA

View Full Version : My Good Luck continues....

Craig
15th February 2007, 06:45 AM
yep, just when I thought my probs with my new car couldn't get worse, was driving back from the golf shop today to my work at lunchtime with the window down and heard a metal ticking noise...

my fears were confirmed when I checked the tyre pressures, n/s/r tyre was down at 20psi. Checked the tyre all the way round and I have a screw in it...:disapprove::disapprove::disapprove:

Spoke to a few garages and none of them would repair it, so I was going to wait to next winter, but the runflats are on their way out!

Getting some "normal" tyres fitted tomorrow.. 4 new tyres for only about £70 more than for 1 runflat. :approve:

Scottie
15th February 2007, 06:47 AM
what tyres did you get.?? sounds like a good price.

Craig
15th February 2007, 06:52 AM
I went for Falken ZE512, I've had 2 sets of them and not had any problems with them in the wet and they are good in the dry... Only £60 a corner fitted.. :D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 07:16 AM
At least you were able to drive to the garage :I;) don't suppse you could have done that on a "normal" tyre :p

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:21 AM
that's what MINI assistance is for, or the trolley jack and spare wheels :p;):D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 07:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude
that's what MINI assistance is for, or the trolley jack and spare wheels :p;):DDid you use all that in your dinner hour 8) anyway, sorry to hear more tales of woe, do you think your luck will change :p

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

that's what MINI assistance is for, or the trolley jack and spare wheels :p;):DDid you use all that in your dinner hour 8) anyway, sorry to hear more tales of woe, do you think your luck will change :p

yeah, golf shop is 5 mins from work and I have all the stuff in the boot to check my pressures and pump up the tyres if need be...:approve::approve:

KenL
15th February 2007, 07:41 AM

that's what MINI assistance is for, or the trolley jack and spare wheels :p;):D

Sorry to hear of your puncture.

Was the screw hole easily fixable and on the tread? This thing about not fixing runflats is a nonsense. The strength of a runflat is in the sidewall, they won't fix any tyre with a puncture in the sidewall, so I don't see why they won't fix a runflat with a puncture in the tread:question:

One more thing, will MINI emergency attend if you have "modified" tyres :eek:

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:45 AM
yes MINI assistance will attend as Bonnie will confirm... :D:D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 08:23 AM
yes MINI assistance will attend as Bonnie will confirm... :D:D
Aye and until it happens to you you'll never not have run flats on, no way mini assistance could have come to you to get you to a garage in your dinner hour :evil:

sh@z
15th February 2007, 08:50 AM
Stop yer preching, if its not worst case scenario then the tyre weld stuff will fix the hole temporarily.

Its what my car comes with, as well as most performance cars, runflats are too much of a compromise and price for the off chance you're gonna get a nail in yer tyre.

Fair enough, you got screwed over when you didnt have runflats Alan, but most people with the rx8's that i've spoken to who have had a flat, nail in tyre have found the tyre weld works, and or pumping up the tyre with air will temporarily sort it so you can got to a garage. I would rather take the risk of getting my tyre mauled by a nail on the very rare chance, rather than have to deal with frikken driving on runflats all the time and suffer that way.

Crombers
15th February 2007, 09:18 AM
Chief , your luck HAS to kick in soon/now

Good price re tyres , I reckon after this summers first outing on non run flats I too could become converted ;)

dundeered
15th February 2007, 05:38 PM
i may have same problem , coming into work put window down and metal ticking noise, last time i heard that was on old car and it was nail through tyre. i only have the 15" wheels so if its on tread can it be fixed or what tyre should i be going for ..

ianking
15th February 2007, 05:47 PM
Craig

there is a place just down the road from me in Penicuik that repaired a run flat for me and also one for my mate. I think they took about £8. If you give me the tyre I can hand it in for you. Its always handy as a spare.

Burple
15th February 2007, 06:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by dundeered

i may have same problem , coming into work put window down and metal ticking noise, last time i heard that was on old car and it was nail through tyre. i only have the 15" wheels so if its on tread can it be fixed or what tyre should i be going for ..

Pretty sure there's not Runflats on any 15"s... First make sure it's not just a wee stone stuck in the tread.. had that a couple of times!

It it's in the tread, it should be fixable. You should be able to look at the sidewall of the tyre and tell if it's a runflat or not. I think if it's a Dunlop it'll have something like DSC in a wee circle - if it's a runflat. Not so sure about other makes tho.

And unlucky Craig :(:( Maybe it's a curese from Knottie! ;):p:p:D

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Craig

there is a place just down the road from me in Penicuik that repaired a run flat for me and also one for my mate. I think they took about £8. If you give me the tyre I can hand it in for you. Its always handy as a spare.

thanks Ian, might well do that... :D I'll let you know once the tyre is off.. ;)

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by dundeered

Pretty sure there's not Runflats on any 15"s... First make sure it's not just a wee stone stuck in the tread.. had that a couple of times!

It it's in the tread, it should be fixable. You should be able to look at the sidewall of the tyre and tell if it's a runflat or not. I think if it's a Dunlop it'll have something like DSC in a wee circle - if it's a runflat. Not so sure about other makes tho.

And unlucky Craig :(:( Maybe it's a curese from Knottie! ;):p:p:D

I think it is the curse of Knottie!, I should never have got rid of the wee boy...:disapprove:;):D

Big Gordy
15th February 2007, 09:55 PM
Craig
WH Tyres in Bonnybridge fixed my run flat when it had a screw in it for about £7 at the tail end of last year if thats any help;) :p:D:approve:

Gismo
15th February 2007, 10:10 PM
I think it is the curse of Knottie!, I should never have got rid of the wee boy...:disapprove:;):DSo that's why i'm having so much trouble with Wee Dougie :p

Duncan Stewart
15th February 2007, 10:16 PM
Bad luck Craig :( but at least you got your non runflats early :D

illegalhunter
15th February 2007, 10:17 PM
well theres allways selling the runflatts craig that will pay for the new rubber mate every cloud has asilver lining

Craig
15th February 2007, 10:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

well theres allways selling the runflatts craig that will pay for the new rubber mate every cloud has asilver lining

can't get rid of the run flats completely as the dealer will reduce your trade-in if they have non run-flats on when you go to trade in. Keep them in the garage for trade-in time.. ;)

illegalhunter
15th February 2007, 10:40 PM
trade in time you are starting to sound like scottie coop you just got it

KenL
15th February 2007, 11:20 PM
Really, they probably want to reduce your trade in by about £800 no doubt.

Mon the fish
16th February 2007, 02:10 AM
JC's in Aberdeen fixed a 16" runflat for me 3 years ago, but apparently BMW's procedures have changed since :evil:

Craig
16th February 2007, 02:58 AM
got my new tyres on today and Mrs Thorne was right (as always;)) The difference is ride is tremendous and the drop in road noise is outstanding...:approve:

it's a mod I would recommend..:D

Crombers
16th February 2007, 09:13 AM

got my new tyres on today and Mrs Thorne was right (as always;)) The difference is ride is tremendous and the drop in road noise is outstanding...:approve:

it's a mod I would recommend..:D

Roll on post Oxford :approve:

weefossy
20th February 2007, 05:53 AM
I'm with BS on this. Have just put new runflats on S spokes. Don't want Sioban with a pucture at night somewhere, if I'm away. Cost me same price as F1's I put on previous wheels. More noise but a necessary compromise.