PDA

View Full Version : 27ft Tv Screen!

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 05:57 AM
We had our commercial digital projector installed today at the cinema.:D:D

The image quality for movies is absolutely spectacular.:eek::D:D

It also has a range of inputs, one of which is a DVI. I can see us having some fun with this....

The images below are of Neil's laptop surfing the web (NewMiniScotland of course), and a Golf game he has on his laptop. And believe me, the 27' screen didn't help his game any.;)

A.;)

http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/digital04.JPG
http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/digital09.JPG
http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/digital17.JPG

ianking
15th February 2007, 05:59 AM
That is mega cool. Imagine playing with a new nintendo on that.

CooperTrooper
15th February 2007, 06:15 AM
wow!:eek: I take it traditional cinema screens cant do anywhere near that resolution??

pro evo on that mmmmmm :D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 06:24 AM
Nice one :cool:

Scottie
15th February 2007, 06:30 AM
i can't see anything

Craig
15th February 2007, 06:39 AM
Superb...:approve::approve::approve::approve:

james f
15th February 2007, 06:43 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the biggest ever game of halo 2 drrooooooooools at thought

N12 JLK
15th February 2007, 06:46 AM
now thats cool;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 06:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

wow!:eek: I take it traditional cinema screens cant do anywhere near that resolution??

pro evo on that mmmmmm :D

Well, the thing is, what we have is a 2K Digital Projector. Which is generally regarded as equal to 35mm (traditional projection). If you get very close to the screen you can see the pixels, but they are literally a couple of mm in size. Not something you can see when sitting in a cinema seat (a distance from the screen), and especially not on a moving image. Where the digital quality hits home is in the sharpness and stability of the image. The image is literally rock solid on the screen, simply because there are no moving parts.

We're thinking of buying an Xbox360 and I plan to get a PS3 in March. Going to have lots of fun with those.:D

Of course, we may also run the occasional film on it. As it happens, Venus starts with us in Friday - in digital!:D

A.:D

Big Col
15th February 2007, 07:02 AM
Whoa! On that thing Bonnie's heid on the homepage will be close to actual size! :D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 07:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Whoa! On that thing Bonnie's heid on the homepage will be close to actual size! :DOi, watch it, does this put me in the running for an Oscar now then :p
On another note, you won't be disappointed with the resolution of the Xbox360 :cool:

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 07:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Whoa! On that thing Bonnie's heid on the homepage will be close to actual size! :DOi, watch it, does this put me in the running for an Oscar now then :p
On another note, you won't be disappointed with the resolution of the Xbox360 :cool:

I'm pretty sure you're right Alan:approve:. Am I right in saying the Xbox360 outputs in HD? If anyone has one, could they also tell me what video outputs there are on the back. Pretty please...

Gismo
15th February 2007, 07:35 AM
Andy, the output is component, red, green and blue through the Xbox AV Cable, but, you also get the digital out for a surround system, in a cinema with true surrond sound and through a decent amp you can only imagine what that would sound like :p

Craig
15th February 2007, 07:36 AM
I think a Nintendo Wii Sports Tournament would be a great Idea...;):D:approve::approve::approve:

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 07:46 AM

Andy, the output is component, red, green and blue through the Xbox AV Cable, but, you also get the digital out for a surround system, in a cinema with true surrond sound and through a decent amp you can only imagine what that would sound like :p

Component is cool. We're using the component inputs from a new progressive scan DVD player we bought today. Philips DVD Player - £39 from ASDA. Component cable £35 from Curry's.:eek::eek:

The Digital audio output, presumably Coaxial or Optical, probably won't connect in to our system, mores the pity. As we have a commercial audio set-up we don't get the same user-friendly sockets to play with on the audio system. It's more geared around a Dolby Digital reader on the film or a DTS XD10 player. Hmmmmmm.... Will need to give the audio some more thought.;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 07:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

I think a Nintendo Wii Sports Tournament would be a great Idea...;):D:approve::approve::approve:

There's issues with the sensor bar the Nintendo Wii uses. The Wii really is built around this functionality and the sensor bar is designed to sit under a conventional TV - albeit up to 50 or 60" or so, not 27 feet!! Also the cable for the sensor bar is only about 6 feet long. It just looks like thin signal cable so extending it shouldn't be too much trouble. BUT! I have seen a YouTube video of someone using a digital projector in a cinema and they made their own sensor bar boxes to sit more spaced across the screen. I have the guy's blog address, so I am going to see if they have posted up the specifications of the new sensor "boxes".

Added to that, I'd need a 40 meter component cable, because the Wii remotes only work so far from the box.:eek:

Burple
15th February 2007, 07:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

[Churchill Voice]
Ohhh, Yeesssssssssssssss!
[/Churchill Voice]

:cool::cool::cool:

Puts the twin 50" LCDs I was playing with today to shame! :D:D

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 08:00 AM
'Specially for LnL. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/fiesta/2004/08/13/churchill/churchilldog.JPG

Burple
15th February 2007, 08:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

'Specially for LnL. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/fiesta/2004/08/13/churchill/churchilldog.JPG

:D:D:D:D:D:cool:

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9190/thfunth241308nx2.gif /Arf!:D

Gismo
15th February 2007, 08:26 AM
The component will give as good a picture as an HDMI :p the digital output is toslink, for standard stereo stuff, but, that's ok in your case as the sound is carried through the component cabling anyway ;)

PACMAN
15th February 2007, 05:33 PM
Very cool... do you think it will fit in my living room :I:p to replace the 50" tele

AndyP & Lenore
15th February 2007, 10:42 PM

The component will give as good a picture as an HDMI :p the digital output is toslink, for standard stereo stuff, but, that's ok in your case as the sound is carried through the component cabling anyway ;)

I would agree component is almost as good as HDMI. My Dad has a new 42" plasma and a Sky + HD box and has it all linked up with HDMI cables. It looks ok, but I'm not convinced it's much better than my own set up, which is a standard Sky + box, with the Scart RGB into a Component converter box then linked to my 4 year old 42" plasma with component cable. I know it's not what is now regarded as true HD, but it looks every bit as good as almost any HD picture I've seen other than 1080p stuff direct from a PC.;):D

Alan, component doesn't carry any audio info at all. Just video.

Gismo
15th February 2007, 10:55 PM
I would agree component is almost as good as HDMI. My Dad has a new 42" plasma and a Sky + HD box and has it all linked up with HDMI cables. It looks ok, but I'm not convinced it's much better than my own set up, which is a standard Sky + box, with the Scart RGB into a Component converter box then linked to my 4 year old 42" plasma with component cable. I know it's not what is now regarded as true HD, but it looks every bit as good as almost any HD picture I've seen other than 1080p stuff direct from a PC.;):D
I don't rate the Sky HD at all, probably why you're not seeing much of a difference, you should certainly see a difference from a suitable DVD player.

A.:DDamn :I i know i should have edited that ;) i've got my Xbox connected via the toslink digital cable for my sound, which is what i meant to say before :p:I
You are quite correct, the component cables are video only :approve:

Scottie
15th February 2007, 11:29 PM

Obviously I know you guys will have forgot more than I will ever know about TV screens and HD and all that stuff anyway here is MHO on HD and LCD TV's for anyone thinking about going out and buyin one.

HD as its not so straight forward.

High Definition is only achieved using HD source (simple statement, however worth highlighting as at the moment the HD content scope is pretty poor - basically only available via Sky at the moment) - if you dont have a HD source, and dont plan to in the short term then I wouldn't spend to much money on the latest technology
HD comes in three basic flavours; 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Not wanted to start a debate however basically 1080p is the latest and the best, however most source providers (i.e. BBC, Sky etc) have chosen 1080i for their native format so this is what you should be looking for as a minimum.

As a general rule of thumb, as you go bigger in screen size, you should consider stepping up the HD format - now this is just my personally opinion, however

23-32" 720p is fine
32-37" 720p is fine, but 1080i is prefered
>37" 1080i is arguably all you will need as the providers are going for this, however IMHO 1080p will be better as it runs at twice 50 Hz compared to 25Hz - better for fast moving objects on screen

So from a spec point of view, If I was buying at the moment I would go for a 1080p HD LCD - e.g. Sharp LC37XD1E Display at approx £1100 ish

However if you dont have any intention of getting Sky HD in the short term (i.e. within the next year or so), then save your money and go for a 720p 37" LCD - e.g. Sharp LC37GD8E at approx £750 and save yourself £250 over the 1080p screen.

Regarding manufacturers, I'd look at Sharp, Sony Panasonic, LG (impressive screens) and Toshiba. I wouldn't touch Samsung but OIMHO.

One things I found while deciding on my purchase of TV for Larbert was the fact that if you watch PAL 576i signals (i.e. conventional signals) on a 1080p screen it can looked blurred

The big names (Sony, LG, Philips, Pan etc) spend a lot more money on the processing of lower resolution signals in order to make the picture look good on a high res screen. Afterall this reasearch I done I still went ahead and bought a HD ready Toshiba 1080p TV ready for when SKY put on their offer for HD installation which should be happening very soon well at least that is what the Sky guy told me way back in December.

Now all said and done and after just selling my big sucker of a Plsama TV if I could I would go back out and buy myself another smaller Plasma for Larbert

as Plasma still out preforms LCD.

This maybe a bit off topic but thought I would post what I knew from my recent buying a TV saga in December.

Bought a LCD wis

Gismo
15th February 2007, 11:48 PM
Fi, i reckon a lot of your post is regarding your personal taste :p not knocking you for that, but, the Pioneers were and still are streets ahead of the rest of the manufacturers.
You only have to read What Hi-Fi to see the 43" Pioneer Plasma is still the best.

Please don't think i'm knocking any of your choices as they are all very good, i have 2 Sony LCD's, one that is connected to my Xbox (back on topic) which is simply stunning resolution through the component.

My other Sony LCD, when viewing Sky HD pictures through the coax cable is crap compared to other sky channels shown

One of my friends bought an "HD" ready TV from a local shop :evil: turns out it must run from the PC Input (DVI) for the HD ready feature, couple that with the convertor from DVI to component the Xbox will not play, so, i'd also be very wary of shops saying that something is HD ready

At the moment the best pictures to view on your HD ready tv is a DVD played from a suitable source

Just my tuppence worth and not wanting to start the LCD, Plasma and Projector debate again :p

Scottie
16th February 2007, 12:02 AM
actually up until I bought this Toshiba I was only every a Panasonic person. Never considered Pioneer but as you say all down to personal choice. Just like buying a Mini.;)

Mon the fish
16th February 2007, 02:26 AM
So, the Wii Sports tournament... how many people on here have a Wii?

I've got one :D And I know MarkR has one, as has Andy. Anyone else?

monkimagic
16th February 2007, 05:21 AM
Thats just showin off

AndyP & Lenore
16th February 2007, 05:35 AM
Fi, If I was buying today..... I'd go for a commercial Christie CP2000 Digital Projector with 2K DLP, a Christie Cine IPX playout module and a Doremi content player - rough cost £60,000. Of course, I wouldn't be able to get any compatible content unless I was a commercial cinema, but it looks the dogs danglies.;);) In case it isn't clear, that's what we have just installed in the cinema.:D:clown:

But you're spot on on the whole LCD/Plasma debacle. I don't want to turn this thread into a LCD/Plasma discussion either, but I've never been a fan of LCD. I have 3 LCD's ranging from 18" to 26" and none of them rate even close to my 4 year old 42" Hitachi plasma. And the 42" (heck - even the 37") LCD's I see in the shops look simply awful.

Something else to bear in mind is that out of all the Electronics "brands" out there, from what I recall there are only three manufacturers of Plasma screens - Fujitsu Siemens, LG and Pioneer.8)

From what I recall, 1080p is very unlikely to make it into domestic broadcast streams; the bandwidth requirements are just too huge. A HD DVD or Blue Ray disc will give you a 1080p picture, but only if your screen will take a 1080p signal - lots wont!:eek:

Alan, I'm sure I read this wrong but:

My other Sony LCD, when viewing Sky HD pictures through the coax cable is crap compared to other sky channels shown

Please tell me you're not trying to achieve a HD image through a coaxial composite cable....:eek::I

Neil and Lorna
16th February 2007, 06:01 AM
I,ll take a few pics of said projector and post them up later when I get home.

Neil.:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
16th February 2007, 06:48 AM
Here's some pics of the beast from Christie's web site.

http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/cp2000lr_frontRight2.jpg

http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/cp2000lr_cineIPM2K.jpg

2000watt bulb and parabolic mirror.
http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/cp2000lr_lampLoc.jpg

Here's one to get Allan (Scottiecoop's other half) going...
http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/cp2000lr_prism.jpg

This is the playback server. Sorry, small pic.
http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/DCP2000open.jpg

Neil, I figured these would come out better than the angles we have in No2.

Scottie
16th February 2007, 06:54 AM
Christie's make great towels.;):blackeye::p:kiss:

euan
16th February 2007, 07:41 AM
Parabolic mirror? Now there's a phrase I never thought I'd hear said on here ;)