PDA

View Full Version : Parallels Beta 3

minidriver#1
14th February 2007, 05:17 AM
Amazing! I had bootcamp installed on the G5 iMac but got pissed off having to reboot every time i wanted to test and took a look at Parallels beta 3 release and its amazing. You don't even have to reinstall windows on the mac because it'll use the Bootcamp partition. You can even drag and drop files from the windows desktop to the osx desktop without any compatibility issues, and it works the other way around too. This has made my dev life on the mac so much easier. I must admit the more I use the mac the more I become impressed by what these third party software developers are coming out with. Today I was running Photoshop CS2 in Windows XP on Parallels while working on Dreamweaver MX on OSX. Whats even cooler is that the Finder will find applications installed on your bootcamp partition and will even show running applications in Parallels on your OSX toolbar. Brilliant.

I won't be ditching my PC anytime soon though. Anyone else using Parallels?

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/beta_testing/

The Dogfather
14th February 2007, 05:30 AM
Straight up? Wow, Bye Bye PC :D

AndyP & Lenore
14th February 2007, 06:04 AM
Why don't you just buy a proper PC instead of fannying around with second rate, unreliable, unstable, incompatible Mac's.:eek::clown::D

Well, Vidal did say he was missing the fights.;)

A.:D

minidriver#1
14th February 2007, 06:15 AM
I'm using a mac at work innit.

GAJ
14th February 2007, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

Amazing! I had bootcamp installed on the G5 iMac ...

Good work there KJ; I think your iMac must be an Intel rather than a G5!;)

Parallel is very cool though, I installed the trial of an earlier build on my old mans machine for him the end of last year. He didn't bother buying a full activation key though 30 days of playing with windaes was enough.:p

Gismo
14th February 2007, 07:31 AM
I was just thinking if you'd sussed that out yet :p

vintageb3
14th February 2007, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Why don't you just buy a proper PC instead of fannying around with second rate, unreliable, unstable, incompatible Mac's.:eek::clown::D

Well, Vidal did say he was missing the fights.;)

A.:D

The last thing I want is to go back to a real PC...because at this point in time...it could mean having to use XP or Vista...

Get a real OS...OS X

Bring it on....but you better bring yer gang!

:evil:;)

mark

vintageb3
14th February 2007, 04:13 PM
KJ...

I had a copy of Parrells...but couldn't work out how to install it...

Fancy giving a quick install guide?

mark

P.S. Actaully...I don't even know if I want to instal this....I never use XP anymore. Word on the rumour sites is "Leopard will allow you to load any Windows software straight into OS X"

I only put XP on with bootcamp to see if it worked....and have never used it.

Joking aside about the OS X /XP thing...access to both OS's is handy.

I tried an app called "crossover" it allows you to load "some" Windows stuff straight in to OS X without installing XP, 2000 etc. Wouldn't install SAGE though...the only one I need at present.

minidriver#1
15th February 2007, 06:50 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Amazing! I had bootcamp installed on the G5 iMac ...

Good work there KJ; I think your iMac must be an Intel rather than a G5!;)

Parallel is very cool though, I installed the trial of an earlier build on my old mans machine for him the end of last year. He didn't bother buying a full activation key though 30 days of playing with windaes was enough.:p

I'm still getting used to it. lol.

They way I installed it was as follows. I installed bootcamp first and then in OSX installed Parallels beta 3. you can choose to use the bootcamp partition on your computer as your virtual machine to run in Parallels, it should be straight forward from there. Alternatively you can install parallels and then install windows through it, its even got support for Vista.

BJN
16th February 2007, 06:31 AM

Amazing! I had bootcamp installed on the G5 iMac but got pissed off having to reboot every time i wanted to test and took a look at Parallels beta 3 release and its amazing. You don't even have to reinstall windows on the mac because it'll use the Bootcamp partition. You can even drag and drop files from the windows desktop to the osx desktop without any compatibility issues, and it works the other way around too. This has made my dev life on the mac so much easier. I must admit the more I use the mac the more I become impressed by what these third party software developers are coming out with. Today I was running Photoshop CS2 in Windows XP on Parallels while working on Dreamweaver MX on OSX. Whats even cooler is that the Finder will find applications installed on your bootcamp partition and will even show running applications in Parallels on your OSX toolbar. Brilliant.

Thought you had to have an Intel mac and not a G5

minidriver#1
16th February 2007, 07:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by BJN

Thought you had to have an Intel mac and not a G5

Yeah you do. I thought G5 was the name but its the name of the original processor, so my mistake. Anyways read the thread, we've been through that already.
:p
Anyways today it died on me, my windows boot partition no longer connects to the net lol. It's a roller coaster ride with me i tell ya.

sh@z
16th February 2007, 08:23 AM
Blood macs!