PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Repair!!

Steve74
21st January 2004, 01:47 AM
Ok, had the car for one week and somehow managed to kerb the os rear alloy going down the ramp at Ocean Terminal Car Park in Leith. Does anyone have any experience of alloy wheel repair companies in the Edinburgh area?

It's not to bad a kerb just a minor chunk and more cosmetic really -j ust didnt want to buy a new alloy!

Mini Martyn
21st January 2004, 02:00 AM
Ooops :blackeye:

I know how you feel, mine have been kerbed a few times, time for a new set of after market jobs I think, according to dealers they are not allowed to refurd alloys, can affect them in some way!! :eek:

Dont realy know any one that does it though. Good luck!!

minidriver#1
21st January 2004, 02:01 AM
usually with alloy refurb, all the wheels need to undergo treatment, not sure why, but this is what i have heard on frequent occasions.

Wul
21st January 2004, 02:24 AM
Know of a company my work used to get the directors cars alloys redone - only cost £35 per corner to get them buffed, filled and repainted - including removing/ refitting the tyres - they are local (Dalkeith i think) will ask the fitter tomorrow and post their details here.

Gismo
21st January 2004, 04:26 AM
My dealer sorted me out when mine were damaged, but, as Wul says you can get each alloy done for a fair price, the tyre has to come off and the job is very good :)

Bonnie Scotland

Steve74
21st January 2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks everybody for that. It seems like there are a few options. I would consider aftermarket wheels if I kerb them again but I think it may be the Works package first. I noticed a mini in edinburgh had the 17" Italian job alloys which looked the dogs bo:evil::evil:ocks so I may be tempted with those. I thought that I might see if the car park would pay for it as it's a dodgy design but I think it's more bad luck than anything (and my driving!!)...

KenL
21st January 2004, 06:02 AM
Those "Italian Job" wheels are the MINI R90s. Very nice but also sadly very expensive. Euan has them on his MINI I think.

As to getting the car park to pay for it you've nae chance. I've been in that car park and came out un-scathed, must be your driving sorry :blackeye::p:D

Wul
21st January 2004, 11:59 PM
ALLOY WHEELS PAINTED @:

Premier Wheels 0131 660 9699
or
Newlife Tyres 0131 669 1464

Our plant fitter reckons newlife are better as they will guarantee the paint finish but they charge £40 per wheel - however they have the facilities to balance the wheel afterwards which premier don't apparently!

Duncan Stewart
22nd January 2004, 01:58 AM
I've seen a repair kit in Halfords which cliams to fill and repair small kerbing damage to alloys - DIY job - might be worth trying.

Steve74
22nd January 2004, 04:57 AM
Thanks Wul I appreciate that. I used to use Newlife back when I worked for Dunedin many years ago and they seemed pretty good. I think I might book it in as it's only 40 quid as opposed to a new alloy wheel at god knows how much.

I had a look at the halfords kit Duncan and it seems pretty good but I think the chunk may be slightly too big for the kit but if I get brave this weekend...

I think the lesson for me is to drive slower in car parks but there is so much temptation with such a cool car!:D

Wul
22nd January 2004, 06:38 PM
Steve - or use the outside carpark at Ocean T! ;)

euan
23rd January 2004, 12:35 AM
Euan does indeed have the R90s on his car. Euan also wept the other night after nicking them on a kerb. Nothing major, just much agony...

Steve74
23rd January 2004, 02:19 AM
Wul, I think I might just do that. I'm still at the stage of parking the car as far away from others as possible hence the very top of the OCP. Think I may have to get viper stripes to distract now thow...