PDA

View Full Version : Sony Ericsson P990i

The Dogfather
12th February 2007, 03:23 AM
Anybody own one of these? Are they any good?

I've been offered one for £50 on a vodafone £20/month contract. It's seems to be a killer deal but I was just wondering if the phone is a good as it seems?

vintageb3
12th February 2007, 04:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
Anybody own one of these? Are they any good?

I've been offered one for £50 on a vodafone £20/month contract. It's seems to be a killer deal but I was just wondering if the phone is a good as it seems?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't buy one...if you get it free....sell it!

I'm on my third from orange...worst phone I have every had. I have threatened Orange with legal action if they don't take it back and give me something else. They played hardball until I mentioned the sales of goods act...and the item for sale being "fit for use"...then they crumpled

It unlocks itself with ease in your pocket and calls who it likes in your phonebook.

It has serious lag between screens.

The camera screen becomes active when it feels like it...taking over the phone.

It freezes...so you have to keep taking the battery out and resetting.

It shuts itself down constantly "to improve performance" which it doesn't.

It hangs up as you answer calls.

You can't hear it ringing....all the tones are really quiet. I worked on some loud mp3's for ring-tones...they are still pitifully quiet.

It doesn't show answerphone messages at a whim.

It cost me £60.00 extra in calls last month...and I've told Orange I'm not paying the extra £60.00!

Of course...Orange say they haven't had people complaining about them.

I'm on my third...and each one has been the same.

I had a P900i...loved it...ring-tones would waken the dead...

Wish I hadn't bothered with the upgrade (downgrade)

Be warned!!!!!

mark

euan
12th February 2007, 04:52 PM
I get the impression, maybe just a hunch, that Mark doesn't like his phone.... ;)

vintageb3
12th February 2007, 04:56 PM
:D

mark

The Dogfather
12th February 2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the warning, I'll look for something else......

euan
12th February 2007, 05:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Thanks for the warning, I'll look for something else......

If it's a simple phone your after - my missus got the W850i for £20 a month on Orange, she could have got almost any phone for that. I got the w810i and think it's great - don't use it for anything other than calls and texting, but the camera in both is good and the battery life isn't too shabby either.

The Dogfather
12th February 2007, 05:40 PM
I'm thinking of going for the Z720 Samsung or N73 Nokia, I can get them both for £30 on Vodafones lowest tarriff

euan
12th February 2007, 06:02 PM
I've seen good and bad reviews of the N73 - I quite fancied it but it wouldn't work with my car kit so it got ruled out. Never had a Samsung but that looks a decent phone. Other half had one (d500) and the menu system drove her bonkers.

The Dogfather
12th February 2007, 06:37 PM
I think Vodafone use their own menu system which replaces the Samsungs so it might be OK

Craig
12th February 2007, 06:44 PM
I had a Z500 Samsung and didn't like the menus, but I've mostly had Nokias and just found them so much easier to use. Went back to one.. Nokia 6233 - VERY good IMHO :D

Burple
13th February 2007, 12:15 AM
Strangely enough.. I was just speaking to a mate who works in the Dundee Vodafone shop about my soon-to-be upgrade..

His general opinion was the same as mine, Don't touch any of the Nokia N-series phnes.. they're pap. I should know.. I currently have a 6680, which runs very similar Symbian OS. It's very slow, sometimes crashes and sometimes it'll say it's making a call, when it's not. To be honest it's been a pain. Pretty much every phone I've had has been a Nokia, but now it's tme for something different, and I've pretty much decided on the Sony Ericsson W880i, which is out on the 23rd Feb or so..
I was gonna go for the K810i, but I figured I don't really need a hugely fancy camera on my phone (besides the one on the 880i is 2 MegaPixel), and the 1 Gig Memory card would be handy with the 880, since it's the new Walkman phone.. And it looks a bit nice too :D:cool::cool:

macblob
13th February 2007, 02:47 AM
I just got the w850i on o2 on a 20 quid a month tarrif.
Happy with it so far, is about my 4 or 5th phone from SE.

The Dogfather
13th February 2007, 05:56 AM
Decided on a Samsung D900 on 02, had so much hassle with vodafone because they couldn't find the new house's address. We had a phone bill, drivers licence and bank statements all with the address on but because it wasn't on their system it didn't exist.

It existed on O2's though, the deal is 15 month half price line rental - it might not be the most up to date phone but I would imagine there's no bugs left to iron out.

vintageb3
13th February 2007, 06:11 AM
I heard from an Orange guy...that the whole Nokia N series had problems...so I'm going to avoid that.

My Orange saga contuinued today...so I called my lawyer.

He thinks that Orange is in breach of contract with me....so I'm calling tomorrow to let them know that good news.

mark

AndyP & Lenore
13th February 2007, 06:12 AM
Lenore's got a D900. She loves it. But be warned, it will accept photo's of Marti Pellow to be set as the background image and it will play Wet Wet Wet tunes as the ringtones, so clearly there are a good few bugs to iron out yet.:D:D:D

A.;)

Burple
13th February 2007, 07:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Lenore's got a D900. She loves it. But be warned, it will accept photo's of Marti Pellow to be set as the background image and it will play Wet Wet Wet tunes as the ringtones, so clearly there are a good few bugs to iron out yet.:D:D:D

A.;)

Well as a former MX5 driving hairdresser, that'll suit VB down to the ground...

...which isn't very far! ;);):p:p:p:D:D:D:D

The Dogfather
13th February 2007, 07:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Well as a former MX5 driving hairdresser, that'll suit VB down to the ground...

...which isn't very far! ;);):p:p:p:D:D:D:D

Says ShortArse McBaldy :evil::p;)

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ADVG/390~Mini-Me-Goldmember-Posters.jpg

I know its been done before, but its so you

Scottie
13th February 2007, 07:41 AM
the thing that bugs me about mobile phones is how after only owning them for a couple hours the screen gets scratched. I can not be doing with those phone covers you can buy.

The Dogfather
13th February 2007, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

the thing that bugs me about mobile phones is how after only owning them for a couple hours the screen gets scratched. I can not be doing with those phone covers you can buy.

that's why they get scratched:D

Burple
13th February 2007, 08:23 AM
quote:

Says ShortArse McBaldy :evil::p;)

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ADVG/390~Mini-Me-Goldmember-Posters.jpg

I know its been done before, but its so you

Give you a MACH3 all over and you could stunt double for me puddle-jumper! :p:p:p:D:D

Big Col
13th February 2007, 05:24 PM
Have any of you seen Night at the Muesum with Ben Stiller? You know that scene when the two minature dudes played by Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson fight...

Burple
13th February 2007, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Have any of you seen Night at the Muesum with Ben Stiller? You know that scene when the two minature dudes played by Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson fight...

Quit stirring it Hightower..:evil::D
I know you feel drawn to stick up for your fellow perm-giver..

...kinda like his'n'hers Barbie cars... :p