PDA

View Full Version : Lost iPod Music

Gismo
12th February 2007, 02:16 AM
I'm absolutely gutted :disapprove: prior to rebuilding my computer and installing Vista my hard drive that contained only my music on my iPod was completely detroyed, most probably by a virus :mad:
I still have all the music on my iPod and my itunes library files.
Is there any way i can get the music back onto my PC??

Please bear in mind i own all the music and won't be doing anything illegal 8)
It's around 10,700 music files and it'd be a right pain to have to do it all again :disapprove:

Any hints or tips

MartinSullivan
12th February 2007, 02:27 AM
I use Anapod Explorer (http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/), will cost you about $15 for a licence, there are free ones out there (cant remember the names off the top of my head) but this is the only one that seems to work perfectly. It is a slow job though and probably wont file them on your hardrive as you would like.

MartinSullivan
12th February 2007, 02:30 AM
I have also used EphPod (http://www.ephpod.com/) which was free, and think it still is. It didnt used to be able to handle MP4, but I think it does now.

Gismo
12th February 2007, 02:49 AM
I've used EphPod before as well, couldn't remember the name of it, would a simple back up to disk do the same thing, would only be about 10 DVD's, lengthy, but, it should work??

sedgie
12th February 2007, 03:04 AM
Will it no come back when you plug yer i-pod in?....cos that happened tae hubby n he just reloaded apple disc....n plugged pod in ....n wayhey!

Gismo
12th February 2007, 03:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie
Will it no come back when you plug yer i-pod in?....cos that happened tae hubby n he just reloaded apple disc....n plugged pod in ....n wayhey!The music is still on my iPod, it's gone from my PC, which is where i need to install to a new iPod when i get one, when i get one

sedgie
12th February 2007, 03:21 AM
yeh but hubby plugged i-pod intae pc n all music came back on pc

Gismo
12th February 2007, 04:47 AM
Martin, you're a genius :p all working, it'll take a while, all night probably :approve:

N12 JLK
12th February 2007, 06:07 AM
You should call your home insurers to check if you are covered for down loaded music files. Some are now covering you for this.

Lesley

Gismo
12th February 2007, 06:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK
You should call your home insurers to check if you are covered for down loaded music files. Some are now covering you for this.
LesleyI have never downloaded a music file from anywhere, all my music is on CD, ripped to my hard drive and then loaded onto my iPod

N12 JLK
12th February 2007, 07:31 AM
ok dokay

Moonshine
12th February 2007, 05:33 PM
IIRC, you need to set your ipod to disk use, rather than auto update when plugged in - quite how you do that, i'm not 100% sure without plugging it in and it auto updating first.. - then you can copy the entire file structure - the 01 forlder etc into the itunes music folder on the PC and it puts all the music in there - i did this to transfer all my music to a second PC. - this brings across all the names artwork etc.

The difficult bit wiill be getting your ipod to disk use mode

G

MartinSullivan
12th February 2007, 11:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Martin, you're a genius :p all working, it'll take a while, all night probably :approve:

Bonnie, just do me a favour. Did you have any mp4's or vids??? Try them before you decide all is ok. When I loaded them back on to my pod with ephpod, they appeared to be there but when I tried them they played at hi speed (on the progress bar) and nothing could be heard, thats why I switched to anapod which seemed to handle it better. Just dont want you finding out down the line that your backup wasnt 100%.

Gismo
13th February 2007, 12:05 AM
Only MP3's mate, don't have any MP4's on the iPod, only the PSP

MartinSullivan
13th February 2007, 02:21 AM
Thats cool then :), just thought it was worth checking