PDA

View Full Version : 3" Snow and England grinds to a halt.

AndyP & Lenore
8th February 2007, 11:07 PM
Is it just me or is this all just a bit of an overreaction? It's pretty clear from the news coverage England has had some snow fall. But, puhleeeeeeease! Some of the photo's look like they've had little more than a hard frost.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit curmudgeonly in my old age.:eek::blackeye::clown::I:D

A.:D

Scottie
8th February 2007, 11:25 PM
looks like Wales got a fair bit snow.

The Dogfather
8th February 2007, 11:43 PM
They just aren't geared up for the bad weather, every Monday morning I drive from Durham to Aberdeen. I use the Carter Bar road (A68) the roads are iffy when it's icy until I cross the border into Scotland then they are fine.

I believe the councils in England don't get as much money for road griting.

The Dogfather
8th February 2007, 11:44 PM
BTW, I bet you've been curmudgeonly all your life, but now you just got an excuse :p;)

euan
9th February 2007, 01:53 AM
Well, I can say this - I've been in Worcester today (which has the worst of it) and we had 5cm. However, I drove to work on clear (but slushy roads) and it was fine. Few donuts in the office car park and all was well.

Just got back to London - and the roads were perfect. Sat with cruise on, and no bugger was on the roads. Prety much empty. I say - let it be like this all the time!!!

Burple
9th February 2007, 02:15 AM
Be thankful you don't live in the Florida or some of the other US states...!
a wee flurry of snow, and the whole place goes mental, buying shops out of water milk eggs and cheese and the like, driving like total loonies..

My fave Snow Video so far this year.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=&v=SPE8vL5hlFA)

s12cot
9th February 2007, 04:31 AM
i lived in Northampton for 3 years, the english just don't know how to drive in snow! the whole place just grinds to a hault....

AndyP & Lenore
9th February 2007, 04:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

BTW, I bet you've been curmudgeonly all your life, but now you just got an excuse :p;)

Not true at all.:eek: But it does make it easier to justify.;):D

AndyP & Lenore
9th February 2007, 04:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Be thankful you don't live in the Florida or some of the other US states...!
a wee flurry of snow, and the whole place goes mental, buying shops out of water milk eggs and cheese and the like, driving like total loonies..

My fave Snow Video so far this year.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?eurl=&v=SPE8vL5hlFA)

Cool video Ewan. Now that looked a tad slippery. But what do you make of the first @rse in the people carrier? He was making it much worse.

Neil and Lorna
9th February 2007, 06:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

They just aren't geared up for the bad weather, every Monday morning I drive from Durham to Aberdeen. I use the Carter Bar road (A68) the roads are iffy when it's icy until I cross the border into Scotland then they are fine.

I believe the councils in England don't get as much money for road griting.

Jings Paul if you use the A68 you'll pass right by our house at Earlston.:D:D:D:D

Neil :D:D:D:D:D

weefossy
9th February 2007, 06:30 AM
It was bad today in Northants / Norfolk. Flights cancelled so I got train back from Peterborough. Hopefully I didn't get bird flu when I overtook a "Beautuful Matthews lorry" on the A47

Big Col
9th February 2007, 03:19 PM
Hope you had the hood up and the recirc on! :)

The Dogfather
9th February 2007, 04:40 PM
Yes, I pass through Earlston. I stopped at the Seat garage to get some special VW oil the other day (I think it was Earlston).

The majority of people not just the English don't know how to drive in the snow, like the idiot in the van that overtook my mate doing 60 on a back road near inverurie, braked for the corner and span off into a field. Kev checked he was alright, called him a f'ing pillock and promptly drove off to let the guy get hypothermia.

euan
9th February 2007, 05:03 PM
Totally agree with you there VB, if you are sensible, and drive sensibly, then you'll be ok. Van drivers must be a particular breed - only accident I saw yesterday was a van driver (transit with rwd) stuck. I saw some very sensible driving, and some very silly driving (for example, pretty much everyone took the 90 degree bend in our car park too fast and hit the kerb as a result)

GAJ
9th February 2007, 05:53 PM
If you want to see how to drive in the snow go to Prague in the winter. It was -15 C when I was there a couple of years ago and when it snowed nobody cared, they all just drive about like nothing has happened. They get a lot more practice though. Personally, I don't agree that the scots are any better or worse at driving in the snow than the english. That's just xenophobic rubbish!

euan
9th February 2007, 06:09 PM
The Finns still drive when it's like that (-15), albeit with snow tyres and chains etc. Although the folk in our office used to bin the car and ski to work!

euan
9th February 2007, 06:59 PM
Now, this takes balls and skill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLTiSlH6Xww

Big Col
9th February 2007, 07:04 PM
Geez that'd rattle your fillings!

AndyP & Lenore
9th February 2007, 07:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

... Personally, I don't agree that the scots are any better or worse at driving in the snow than the english. That's just xenophobic rubbish!

Would agree with you Gaj, but I do think Scots have more of a "Oh, it snowed last night, isn't that pretty. Ah well, lets just get on with it" attitude, as opposed to a "Oh, cripes! It MIGHT snow tomorrow, so I'll just stay at home, not driving in that."

But then, we do have more experience in dealing with snow.;)