PDA

View Full Version : car tax

sedgie
7th February 2007, 06:46 AM
Ladies & Gentlemen

Sarah Kennedy was on about this proposed car tax scheme on the radio.
Apparently there are only a few days left to register your objection to the
Pay as you go' road tax.
The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't really publicise it.
Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 600,000 people had signed it
so far and 750,000 signatures are required to stop them introducing it.
This is legit... from the 10 Downing Street's website.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition.
Democracy in action?

The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it.
The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill.
If you care about our freedom and stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

duncan
7th February 2007, 06:53 AM
I get a tracker for £200, I travel off peak, and less than 6,000 miles mainly on local roads a year, so where can I sign the petition for it?

duncan
7th February 2007, 07:01 AM
Add in the fact it would be yet another Government IT project, I can't see it happening in the near future anyway.

The Dogfather
7th February 2007, 04:29 PM
The technology is way off. Any party trying to bring this in will get a backlash, unless, they put it in their manifesto prior to an election. If they did they wouldn't get elected.

euan
7th February 2007, 06:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

The technology is way off. Any party trying to bring this in will get a backlash, unless, they put it in their manifesto prior to an election. If they did they wouldn't get elected.

The technology isn't way off. It's used now. I know, I've used it...

The Dogfather
7th February 2007, 07:00 PM
The technology to monitor a few cars is here.

However to monitor every car in the UK, prevent clones being created, create bills, chase up non-payers, answer queries and quite a few other issues isn't........

euan
7th February 2007, 09:30 PM
But it is scaleable, it just used in that way in the UK

It is, however, used all over germany for lorries.

http://www.cfit.gov.uk/map/europe-germany.htm

The Dogfather
7th February 2007, 10:18 PM
I read a summary of a report, government produced which stated that whilst the technology was available to monitor vehicles was already established, the technology to handle the volumes of data that would produced from a UK wide system is 10 years away.

It mentioned the support services, security and summat else which I can't remember as key stumbling blocks which still need to be addressed.

Duncan Stewart
7th February 2007, 10:45 PM
yet another daft way to screw more money out of us :mad: and For what? - to fund running some organisation to track and bill us for road use :disapprove:
I already pay a huge extra amount of tax for the high mileage I do due the the fact most of the cost of petrol is tax

euan
7th February 2007, 11:06 PM
Duncan, I agree wholeheartedly! I don't think it's going to make any difference to fuel costs, nor how much people drive (I know that if they implemented pay as you drive, my company would need to do something with regards to re-imbursement over and above what I pay now). Combine it with ID cards and it's a glorified person tracker.

In terms of the technology, it's a matter of scale against cost. Everything could be done now, but the costs are high as it's new. Governmemt produced reports, there is always an element of spin to them. I've spent time with the people who design, build and advise on these systems - the technology is there but nobody can justify the cost.