PDA

View Full Version : some advice please, have seen a mini I may buy...

pamelab21
6th February 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi all

Hope someone can help me. I have been looking at Minis and am about to test drive a Cooper tomorrow at a Ford dealers of all places.
Its a 2004 Cooper in Pepper White with black roof, 20k, chili pack, red/black leather interior.
Can anyone tell me what to look out for when I go to see it and when driving it? A bit wary buying a car out of warrenty....are there any known problems on these cars?
Have never had a Mini before but don't want to get stung with a bad one.
Also any ideas on what the car is actually worth. Don't want to be paying over the odds.

Thanks
P:D

minimad
6th February 2007, 09:20 AM
i pass a ford garage everynight and theres a p/w cooper up on a stand i dont know if its the same garage?my advice would be to go to a bmw dealer to purchase one ,i might be totally wrong but at least there's some come back with a mini dealer,also dont get me wrong the car in the ford garage looks absolutly in mint condition:cool:i hope this has helped you out;)

Gismo
6th February 2007, 09:54 AM
Hmm, Minimads advice is sound, if you're keen on the colour combo etc you could use the mini cherished site, pop into any Mini dealer and they can trawl the UK for your car, there must be something very similar to the one you're set on ;)

However, it wouldn't put me right off a car because it's at a Ford garage, providing they will give you 12 months warranty etc.

Things to look out for, check the boot, make sure no water in the wheel well, or, at least no sign of water egress, also the front feet area, especially the passenger side.
Test drive and make sure it does not pull to the left, check the rear light clusters for condensation, also the high level brake light.
Check the brake disks for rust and pad thickness.
Also, confirm the service interval when you start the car, it'll be in the trip computer, it may also show the time for a brake fluid change.

Hope i haven't put you off :p

Wul
6th February 2007, 03:29 PM
Depending on the month of first registration it could still have some of the manufacturer warranty left on it - say till June 07! As Bonnie says - see what warranty the Ford dealer offers - i'd also check the steering when you first get into the car (ie cold) when reverse parking make sure there isn't a Clunk from the steering just past the wheel itself. But otherwise Go for it! :D

X30YES
6th February 2007, 05:27 PM
As above ....also look for stone chips on the bonnet/grill, tyre wear on the outside,=( hard driving)

pamelab21
6th February 2007, 06:17 PM
With regards to the colour. Although I like it, is it a hard colour to try and sell on or is it sought after? Will it affect resale value is what I am trying to say!

ianking
6th February 2007, 06:20 PM
Pepper white is a great colour, certainly doesnt show up the scratches. I dont think there is an issue with resale of pepper white as its not a bright white like a police car.
Does the car you are looking at have air con or any other options appart from the chilli pack. How much are they asking for it.

pamelab21
6th February 2007, 06:47 PM
to be honest I am not too sure what it has apart from the chili pack. I know it has a red/black leather interior and door cards according to my hubby. He popped in last night on the way home from work to see it but it was dark and he wasn't too clued up on all the options. We have arranged to have a test drive this evening with hopefully some light left to see the car properly. I just know the dealer will want us to make the decision this evening though.
They want £9999 for it.
Is that overpriced?

ianking
6th February 2007, 06:53 PM
It will be half leather. The red bit will be fabric.

pamelab21
6th February 2007, 07:06 PM
does it seem overpriced?
looking at parkers guide and what car guide it is......but thats why they call them stealers I guess.

ianking
6th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Its hard to tell. If its got air con then that is a desireable option to have and it may have a couple other bits on it. Remember that an 04 plate is pre facelift.

There is a nice red 05 plate for sale just now in the for sale section of this web site, plug plug, wink wink.

SarahMunro
6th February 2007, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Its hard to tell. If its got air con then that is a desireable option to have and it may have a couple other bits on it. Remember that an 04 plate is pre facelift.

There is a nice red 05 plate for sale just now in the for sale section of this web site, plug plug, wink wink.

Your a sly boy :p

pamelab21
6th February 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm afraid I still have a car to sell though, its advertised at the minute privately but may have to go down the trade in route. Much as I hate to.

Duncan Stewart
7th February 2007, 10:08 PM
Looks like a good price to me - with the chilli pack & low mileage the online glasses guide suggests a £10K excellent condition trade in value (from the vauxhall website - value my car section, it's free there:p)
White is a popular colour on Minis so no worries there.
I would check the inner side of the rear brake discs and inner pad as problems with these are a common MOT failure and can mean new calipers,discs and pads - expensive :(
If it's a good 'un then go for it - you'll love it! :cool::D

PACMAN
7th February 2007, 10:17 PM
it took me 3 months to get an all pepper white one :p

pamelab21
8th February 2007, 12:47 AM
the only thing stopping me now to be honest is the interior. I went to have another look today to see it and its very red.....I also wanted the air con and glass roof but maybe I am asking for too much now!

ianking
8th February 2007, 12:59 AM
The red seats are nice but i prefer them not to have the red door cards as it is a bit over powering. Air con is a good thing to have and always helps with residual value. Its pretty unusual to see air con and glass roof on the same car as it kind of defeats the purpose. Unless its a cooperS chili of course with a glass roof as the S chili pack has always included air con.

My mate is selling a Cooper S just now with glass roof and chilli pack which includes the air con but the car is silver with black roof.