PDA

View Full Version : Steering

Mon the fish
2nd February 2007, 02:10 AM
I had Yoko Parada's all round, but it was time to change the fronts, and I wanted more grip in the wet.

So I fitted Toyo Proxes on the front, the Parada's on the back have 6mm tread. Since the Toyo's were fitted, to go straight I have to steer to the left slightly.

I checked pressures, wheelnuts etc, and got the suspension alignment checked, everything is perfect.

It must therefore be down to the tyres in some way. Has anyone else had experience of this?

P.S. The tyres are directional - they are mounted correctly, and because they are directional I can't swap them side to side.

Gismo
2nd February 2007, 02:43 AM
Are you on standard wheel size, ie 17" :question: or do you have aftermarket wheels on :question:

Mon the fish
2nd February 2007, 04:20 AM
18" JCW R95. I just don't understand why the suspension is perfectly aligned, but the tyres have put it out :question:

Scottie
2nd February 2007, 05:36 AM
simple your alignment is out or rather when they done the job they did not have your steering wheel at centre hence when they tweaked your alignment you steering wheel went off centre.. The same thing happen to us only a couple weeks back in my other car had to go back and they re done the alignment making sure steering wheel was to centre.

Gismo
2nd February 2007, 06:06 AM
I had 18" Parada's for my old S, they were pants in the wet and tramlined like a mad thing :evil:
Any chance you can try another set of wheels and tyres ;)

minimad
3rd February 2007, 12:39 AM
i've just fitted toyo proxes to mine in 17''cant say noticing this problem grip like hell in the wet:cool:

Mon the fish
3rd February 2007, 05:20 AM
I'm 100% sure the alignment is fine, it wasn't changed, just checked. I centred the steering myself to be sure.

I swapped the Toyo's with the Yoko Parada's, so the Yoko's were then on the front. The steering went squint the other way...

So, in summary. The suspension alignment was checked, it's fine. With Toyo's on the front and Yoko's on the rear, the steering wheel points left slightly. And vice-versa, with the Yoko's on the front, the steering wheel points right.

Now I really am lost!

Gismo
3rd February 2007, 05:56 AM
Hmm, maybe, just maybe, the rear wheels sit with a wee camber, could be that the tyre wear with the tyres on the rear have worn a wee tad :p
Just guessing here, i would suggest you either change back to what it was, or, try different wheels and tyres, or, renew the front tyres

Mon the fish
4th February 2007, 01:20 AM
There is a bit of negative camber on the rear, just on the tolerance of the alignment. So the Yoko's are probably slightly worn on the inside. I've put the (new) Toyo's back on the front, so back to steering to the left slightly!

Don't really want to have to buy 2 new tyres when the Toyo's are brand new, but I want my steering wheel straight!

Might get a KDS done, don't really fancy paying the money for it though

Gorbash12346
7th February 2007, 05:24 AM
if the wheel is off to the left then the alignment is definately out could've been caused by potholes or heavy kerbage kds is a lot of money i know but you need to get the alignment doen somewhere... maybe get it done somewhere else that does laser tracking

Craig
7th February 2007, 06:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mon the fish

There is a bit of negative camber on the rear, just on the tolerance of the alignment. So the Yoko's are probably slightly worn on the inside. I've put the (new) Toyo's back on the front, so back to steering to the left slightly!

Don't really want to have to buy 2 new tyres when the Toyo's are brand new, but I want my steering wheel straight!

Might get a KDS done, don't really fancy paying the money for it though

as Gorbash says the KDS is very expensive. Try Progrip in Bonnybridge (Big Gordy knows the owner). They do laser wheel alignment and not that far from you...:approve:

Progrip
Tel: 01324 810111
Canal Bank Est Seabegs Rd, Bonnybridge FK4 2BP

Sweeney
7th February 2007, 07:01 AM
How much is a KDS, thinking i may need one done lol

Mon the fish
8th February 2007, 01:31 AM
Yep, been at Progrip, and the alignment came back fine...

Burple
8th February 2007, 02:23 AM
Dunno if this will be of any use, but I've noticed when changing wheels around before that the front left WILL ALWAYS wear faster that the front right (cos of the effects of torque steeer I assume - I may be wrong), and both fronts obviously wear a lot faster than the rears... If there's some camber on the rears which has made them wear down a little bit faster on one edge, could this plus the factor of the front left wearing a wee bit more have anything to do with it? Just by throwing the geometry out a tiny little bit?
Obviously you can't check this by swappeing them left/ right since they're directional...

Mind you, with new tyres, I doubt this could really be a theory..