PDA

View Full Version : new wheels and tyers

minimad
1st February 2007, 05:35 AM
during robs ace run on sunday i thought my run flats let me down.they didnt seem to like the wet roads infact at one point at the beggining of the run ifelt the car slide ,which just made me weiry on the cornering thus making me more and more nervous as the run went on.at one point i started to drive like miss daisy and came to the conclusion to buy new non runflat tyers.so today i splashed the cash and got myself a set of oz superturismo WRC s with non runflat tyers,and to be honest i wished id done it years ago,so much more grip.anyone else have the same problem?:eek:

sedgie
1st February 2007, 05:42 AM
i thought you were in reverse Tony!!!!:p:p;):D

Craig
1st February 2007, 05:42 AM
Yep, always hated the lack of grip and harshness of the rid of runflats compared to standard tyres... My summer wheels have standard tyres on them and my runflats will be disappearing later on in the year and I will be putting on standard tyres to my crown spokes..:approve::approve:

I tried to pull away from a roundabout the other day and the road was damp, but not week and I was in 4th gear before it stopped wheel-spinning...:eek::eek: not confidence inspiring..;)

illegalhunter
1st February 2007, 05:59 AM
so where are the pics then tony

Gismo
1st February 2007, 06:19 AM
Lets hope you don't have a puncture too far away from home :evil: like i did, not a pleasant experience :disapprove:

minimad
1st February 2007, 06:57 AM
got a spare in the boot:p;)good one sedgie:D

BJN
1st February 2007, 07:07 AM
Maybe its just me, but I thought my car handled fine on the run and thats with the OE Pirelli run flats on 17s.

Craig
1st February 2007, 07:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Lets hope you don't have a puncture too far away from home :evil: like i did, not a pleasant experience :disapprove:

aye, but the distance from there to your home you would still have had to have your car recovered as the runflat would not have gone that far(according to the manufacturer)... AND it costs 3 times as much to replace the tyre(if the local garage even has them in-stock!)... (can you tell I'm not a fan of run-flats...:question:;):D)

PACMAN
1st February 2007, 07:17 AM
I found the run flats fine but they do slide abit in the wet :p:D and then grip ;)

Craig
1st February 2007, 07:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

so where are the pics then tony

are they these ones ?

http://www.ozracing.co.uk/Superturismo_wrc.htm

dinnae fancy cleaning them...;)

N12 JLK
1st February 2007, 07:22 AM
quote:

I tried to pull away from a roundabout the other day and the road was damp, but not week and I was in 4th gear before it stopped wheel-spinning

What happened to breaking in the mowta;)

Craig
1st February 2007, 07:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

quote:

I tried to pull away from a roundabout the other day and the road was damp, but not week and I was in 4th gear before it stopped wheel-spinning

What happened to breaking in the mowta;)

still am, never got above 3500rpm, and I'm currently at 740 miles..

N12 JLK
1st February 2007, 07:26 AM
The runflats on our old cooper were pants BUT on the new R56 S we both think the ride and grip is suppa and well since Lesley struggles to open up a loaf never mind changing a wheel so we will be keeping them:) .
Oh bugger I've just had a slap to the noggin:(

CooperTrooper
1st February 2007, 07:52 AM
craigs right

i no longer have run flats

the way i see it, i drive to liverpool once a weel, with a puncture down there, i need to buy a £130 runflat just to get home, with non runflats, i only need to buy a £60ish tyre to get home.

Runflats are good = unless you travel more than 60miles from home!!

minimad
1st February 2007, 09:35 AM
craig thats the ones i think ma motor looks and drives the dogs peas now woohoo:approve::D

weefossy
2nd February 2007, 02:08 AM
Tony, I hope they are white to match the car?

I'm thinking of going back to runflats because of safty concern for Sioban being stranded with flat tyre. Not sure if it's worth the extra cost....ouch that hurt..... I don't like the rough ride but I never found a problem with grip. Must be us older guys are "smoother operators"!!

minimad
2nd February 2007, 12:14 PM
yeah there the white ones look ace on the red and white car,thanks for asking MR SMOOTH OPERATOR MAN :D

s12cot
2nd February 2007, 06:01 PM
got to say that the run flats i have are crap on damp roads but good on dry roads, i keep them due to the reason of getting stuck with a flat...

Gordons_cooper_wrks
3rd February 2007, 05:28 AM
Sounds really nice toni. Wheres the pics? Yipee no more daisy lol :D:D