PDA

View Full Version : SELLING HELP

Hadi
1st February 2007, 01:58 AM
The guy buying my mini is coming over from republic of ireland on sat, he wants to pay me by bankers draft, how safe is this ?

KenL
1st February 2007, 02:00 AM
Do not do it!

There are many overseas scams going around.

Tell him to pay the amount directly into your bank and that you will not release it until your bank guarantees it cannot be reversed.

illegalhunter
1st February 2007, 02:50 AM
take the draft to the bank with him there hand it over for checking before you part with the car

Scottie
1st February 2007, 03:15 AM
as I posted on a another thread about the same kind thing. ask then to do a same day chaps transfer into your bank account and get your banks confirmation.

Wouldn't touch a bankers draft and not from the Republic Of Ireland banks. So much could go wrong.

KenL
1st February 2007, 04:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

take the draft to the bank with him there hand it over for checking before you part with the car

A banker's draft can be forged. Stories about people selling on Ebay, getting a bank draft as payment which goes through after a few days. Then six weeks later banks get in touch to say the draft was fraudulent!

I would only do a direct bank transfer, which may or may not be instant. Speak to your bank for advice.

Hadi
1st February 2007, 05:15 AM
where do i find out about this chaps thingy ?

Craig
1st February 2007, 05:36 AM
http://www.apacs.org.uk/payment_options/chaps.html

above link give you some info on it. It's basically a cleared funds transfer that CANNOT be bounced as it will only be processed by the bank if they know the funds are guaranteed so you have peace of mind...:approve:

Scottie
1st February 2007, 05:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

http://www.apacs.org.uk/payment_options/chaps.html

above link give you some info on it. It's basically a cleared funds transfer that CANNOT be bounced as it will only be processed by the bank if they know the funds are guaranteed so you have peace of mind...:approve:

in the past I have transferred millions using chaps.

It is the best option to use.:D

Craig
1st February 2007, 05:47 AM
it's also how most international bank payments are done (including SWIFT), and also a lot of house purchases are done with this between financial intermediaries so that you can get your keys on time...:approve:

sedgie
1st February 2007, 05:50 AM
lolol....i'd ask for cash.....but i'm originally fae Dumpdee;):D

CooperTrooper
1st February 2007, 07:48 AM
yeah, i done a chaps transfer for my mortgage, same day guaranteeed - cost £25 tho! would be the buyer paying though i would imagine???

Scottie
1st February 2007, 07:57 AM
£25:eek::eek: cost me £10 natwest

niknax
1st February 2007, 08:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

lolol....i'd ask for cash.....but i'm originally fae Dumpdee;):D

:D:Dyou forgot the FINTRY bit ;);)

sh@z
1st February 2007, 09:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by CooperTrooper

yeah, i done a chaps transfer for my mortgage, same day guaranteeed - cost £25 tho! would be the buyer paying though i would imagine???

It is the person doing the transfer that pays, i.e the buyer

AeroJonny
2nd February 2007, 08:29 AM
if u both go into the bank with your switch cards and hand them over then that should do the job ;)

KenL
2nd February 2007, 04:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

if u both go into the bank with your switch cards and hand them over then that should do the job ;)

...but you have to be in the same bank.

Selling the Golf we both went to RBS with my RBS card and her Nationwide card. RBS could/would not access her account.

Luckily, I also have a Nationwide account so when we both went there it was not a problem. Additional ID was required though.

KenL
4th February 2007, 01:33 AM
Well, how did itgo?