PDA

View Full Version : The Road of Shame!!

Monsta Mo Mini
26th March 2003, 05:07 AM
In the spirit of Willie's encounter in Scarbourgh let's take the opportunity get things of our chest. Has there been an incedent on the road recently that has recently irked you? Well now's your chance to shame them. Fire away....

PS: Profanity is perfectly acceptable in this topic:D

I'll get the ball rolling by shaming the dickhead who keeps parking his ****heap of a volvo in the entrance to our development. I really fancy sticking a REFUSE: TO BE UPLIFTED sticker on his windscreen. He should hopefully take the hint...:mad:

Gismo
26th March 2003, 07:47 PM
There is an older couple who always park their car about 3 feet away from the road and slighltly into the entrance to my road, makes it difficult for delivery vans etc.

Bonnie Scotland

Fontal
26th March 2003, 09:34 PM
Sorry to be greedy but I have two,
Firstly,
The muppets that crawl along at 40-45 mph in a 60 zone and then stay at that speed when they enter a 30 zone in a built up area, (they are also the ones that come up and complain if you over take them and call you dangerous).
Secondly,
Those complete idiots that sit right on your a**e on a straight then pull out to overtake you on a blind corner, Ive nearly been wiped out twice this week already, usual culprits crappy little van driver, 17 yearolds in 980 cc fiesta's and bloody truck drivers.

Rant over

Fontal

Wul
27th March 2003, 01:20 AM
The people in my street who park in the middle of two parking spaces even though they know the parking is tight in our street...Grrrr!

Oh and my upstairs neighbour who likes to hoover at 8.30am on Sunday mornings!! When she's not screaming at her son or playing Blue and Elton John at full volume - oh i so like living in a flat!

Wul
27th March 2003, 01:21 AM
Oh and this one is the bees knees.....

JCB and crane drivers who like to travel down the edinburgh city bypass during rush hour thus causing havoc!

john
27th March 2003, 01:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Oh and this one is the bees knees.....

JCB and crane drivers who like to travel down the edinburgh city bypass during rush hour thus causing havoc!

Sorry I will stop doing it:I

duncan
27th March 2003, 02:54 AM
Ok, i'll add my street.
I have a space allocated to me, but park in the street, outside the flat. No problems created by that.
The flats at the bottom of the lane have no private spaces, and they park on the road, too. Again, no probs.

But then you get the selfish <insert expletive> who park right up to the corner, on double yellows.

This makes pulling out of the lane VERY dificult, especially when the parking on the main road means single file traffic.

I've e-mailed the local counciller about this, and he wholeheartedly agrees that aditional parking bays would solve most of the problems, but there is no money to do this.

As there is only 6 traffic wardens in the whole of Dundee, it's unlikely anyone gets booked.

Oh, and tractors on the A90 Dundee to Perth Dual Carriageway annoy me to.

Rant over.

Julz
28th March 2003, 04:05 AM
Okay, my turn! I agree with the dittery sods who do 45mph EVERYWHERE! Then there's the arses on the Kingsway who are turning left in three miles, so had OBVIOUSLY better stay in the overtaking lane, at, surprisingly, 45mph! Then there's the tractors who go between camperdown and birkhill at rush hour and don't pull over into the big layby to let people past! Also blokes who think because i'm a girl with a good car, i don't know how to use an accelerator properly, eat my stonechips!!:D:D end of moan for the moment!
Cheers Calum for starting a girlie bit - a moaning section:I

Linda M
28th March 2003, 11:44 PM
MINI drivers who are too 'cool' to acknowledge other MINI drivers....this is really beginning to annoy me :mad:

john
29th March 2003, 12:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

MINI drivers who are too 'cool' to acknowledge other MINI drivers....this is really beginning to annoy me :mad:

:D:Dwell said LINDA:D:D

duncan
29th March 2003, 01:40 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, one of the Inconsiderates in my street got a ticket today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(and i didn't grass them up!)

Julz
2nd April 2003, 06:08 AM
People who stop or slow down on slip roads!!!!!

Willie M
2nd April 2003, 04:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

Or... you move over into the outside lane to allow someone out from the sliproad and they proceed to accelerate away on the inside lane leaving you to pull in again behind them. Uncourteous GITS :evil:

I realise the above may not be applicable to some of the 'sportier' drivers amongst us but believe me... when your driving a Suzuki Jimny ;)

Gismo
2nd April 2003, 06:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Or... you move over into the outside lane to allow someone out from the sliproad and they proceed to accelerate away on the inside lane leaving you to pull in again behind them. Uncourteous GITS :evil:

I realise the above may not be applicable to some of the 'sportier' drivers amongst us but believe me... when your driving a Suzuki Jimny ;)
I didn't realise 3 wheelers were allowed on the motorways ;):p

Bonnie Scotland

minidriver#1
3rd April 2003, 02:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

there is one guy in a grey cooper s with black stripes that did this to me today. we were both going slow on a back road to my work, going in opposite directions. He looked about 17, so i'm guessing its prolly his dads mini, but anyway, he looked at me, i waved and smiled. he did nothing, but continued to stare at me as he drove past.... knob! how dare he humiliate me like that :P bah.

Also, in the 2 days that i have had the car, people keep driving right up my backside and thats just pissing me off all the time, but i keep cool and do the limit.

Julz
3rd April 2003, 07:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit
there is one guy in a grey cooper s with black stripes
I was going to suggest alan, but you say the driver looked 17, so it's definately not him!!;)

minidriver#1
3rd April 2003, 08:10 AM
haha. he always wears a tea cosy on his head, the same thing all the time, drops someone off at my work. He's got a baby face. Tonight i had a civic driver up my arse. I shat on him round corners, but since its the run in period, i kept to the limit and drove sensibly :) i hope you are all proud.

Willie M
3rd April 2003, 04:40 PM

I was going to suggest alan, but you say the driver looked 17, so it's definately not him!!;)
Is that 17 years or 17 stone? :p:clown:

Moorf
25th April 2003, 12:05 AM
I don't want to appear to be a moaning MINI but.... people who speed thru our village (which has a speed limit of 40) at 70/80 mph REALLY pee me off.... especially when we are trying to pull out of our drive (which is a bit of a blind turning) and they "gesture" to us when they are caught unawares by our appearance! :mad:

Having said that, standing in a bright yellow anorak brandishing my hairdryer and my blue-light torch (after much Port quaffing) does while away the dark winter evenings - the looks on the drivers faces as we point the hairdryer at them is classic!! :D:D

Monsta Mo Mini
30th April 2003, 08:55 PM
TO THE SILLY TART WITH BRIGHT RED HAIR, IN THE SILVER MICRA WHO PULLED OUT IN FRONT OF ME AND CAUSED ME TO HIT THE KERB, SCRAPING MY ALLOYS!!!!:mad::mad::mad::evil::disapprove: Easter Road last Thursday night - you know who you are!!!!! She then proceeded to go straight through the red light at Albion Road, nearly causing another accident! GRRRRRRR!:mad::evil:

Julz
1st May 2003, 09:02 PM
Minor adjustment,
The road of FAME
To the man in the silver astra last night who flashed his lights at me to warn me that my three figure speed would not be seen as acceptable by the sneaky ba***rds hiding behind some bushes with a speed detecting hairdryer!!:)

Wul
16th May 2003, 01:21 AM
TWO JCB'S ON THE BYPASS THIS MORNING - AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

Wul
7th August 2003, 06:29 PM
Right - i've had enough of the wee Sh1tes!

All four dustcaps nicked from my car again! that's the 3rd time in a year!

Maybe it is worth shelling out £13.99 for the lockable cooper ones from Richbrook!

Big Col
7th August 2003, 06:35 PM
I'm gonna see if you can buy exploding ones...

Willie M
7th August 2003, 09:02 PM
Wul
Bring yer MINI round to me and I'll weld them on for you ;)
That'll confuse the little blighters :evil:

Hmmm... mind you. If you needed to top up your tyre pressures ??? Curses <skulks off back to the drawing board...

Wul
7th August 2003, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the offer Willie - maybe you could knock up a set of lockable stainless steel covers for me with built in finger lasserators should anyone try and remove them! :D

Suppose i should be grateful it's only my dust caps getting knicked!

Burple
7th August 2003, 11:00 PM
One word FOG LIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!
(ok... so that's 2.... hmm..)
Especially when it's not been foggy for like 3 weeks and these peopl haven't bothered to turn them off!!!!
AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
(turns into bloke from 'Chewin' the fat' and ransacks desk)
Need I say more??

Duncan Stewart
8th August 2003, 05:13 PM
Using no lights or only side lights when it actually IS foggy! :mad: especially the ones with fog lights fitted - probably the same people mentioned by low n loud1 above, who run about when it is not foggy with front fog lights on because the think it is cool. Been very foggy here every morning this week and I keep nearly running into these people :evil:
And if anyone has seen me in the fog in my classic mini I did have my dipped beams on - honest! :D I have a pair a halogen headlamps to replace the 1 candle power sealed beams but cannot figure out how to remove them as they are rusted in!
And as for cyclists out in the fog, I can think of other ways to commit suicide !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead:
p.s. I like the smiles! (over use or what!)

Big Gordy
8th August 2003, 05:27 PM
I had a run in with a death wish cyclist on Wednesday night on the back road from Stirling to Larbert at about 11.30pm :approve: He gave me 'the goose' just because I hadn't dipped my lights. I hadn't dipped my lights because he was dressed like the guy in the black magic advert (I only saw him when he stuck his milk bottle coloured arm out to give me the goose :D) Oh did I forget to mention HE HAD NO BLOODY LIGHTS ON AT ALL :evil: which also helped in me not seeing him. I'm a keen mountain biker and I wouldn't dream of going out dressed like that during the day nevermind at night :p
p.s.I love the smilies as well. I've got one that smiles then flashes its bum at you - coool.

Big Col
8th August 2003, 07:58 PM
<looks at Gordy> <raises one eyebrow> YOU! On a Mountain Bike. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

<composes himself> Sorry.

Wul
9th April 2004, 06:48 PM
Ok thought i'd resurrect this beaute again!

Motorway road works - why do people drive in the middle of the two lanes to stop people driving up to the merge in turn signs like your supposed to - gits all their doing is turning a 1 mile tailback into a 5 mile one as everyone sits in one single lane - if the traffic management contractor had wanted everyone to be in one lane for 5 miles they'd have put more cones out!

Oh and the tw@t in the Citroen C5 estate who tried to squish me yesterday swerving about round the calders roundabouts in rush hour!

Big Col
9th April 2004, 07:12 PM
TAXIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wul
9th April 2004, 07:15 PM
Wot generally? ;)

Heather
9th April 2004, 09:28 PM
White van men who drive right up your erse when you have a car in front of you preventing you from going any faster. :mad::mad: Ohhh and a burgandy volvo estate on the M8 every morning at 8.10am thats drive in the fast lane at 55mph and does not move even when he is beeped, flashed or undertook by 10 drivers in a row. Thank god he seemed to be on holiday today.:D

Steve74
10th April 2004, 12:26 AM
The nosy neighbour who when I parked my Mini asked me to park closer to the end of the bay so they could fit another car in. She told me how there are so few parking spaces that I should move my car to make more room. Well, firstly she was wearing green wellies and just had finished walking her poodle or something in our local private gardens where everyone has a preumed poshness about them. I just replied that I drove a Mini and maybe the reason I didn't want to park right up to the edge was that it was right next to the entrance of her private gardens and I didn't want her poodle pi@@ing on my tyres.

That felt better, thanks :evil:

duncan
10th April 2004, 03:34 AM
Carnoustie Level Crossing

4 Days running, cars jumping the red lights, even with the Transport Police watching on one occasion!

Wul
13th April 2004, 05:23 PM
Here's a question for you guys - do the Transport Police have jurisdiction on the roads generally or just train stuff?

Oh and hello to the nutter in the red ashtray this morning who pulled out across two sets of dual carriageway lanes and almost caused a major accident - erse!

monkimagic
15th April 2004, 12:57 AM
Yep, the 45 mph fools who keep there speed:mad:, the guys in corsas and clio who overtake me on a 20mph zone outside the local school:mad:, Taxi drivers and big fat ignorant bus drivers, I will give way to them but do not push me out of the way:mad:, MINI drivers ( who are not to cool, they just dont realise what they are driving, its a MINI !!!!):mad: and the 100% BMW free sticker !!!!!!:mad::mad: and finaly ASDA !:mad::mad:

Monki

but it all dont matter, I am in my MINI :D:D:D:D

duncan
15th April 2004, 01:14 AM

Here's a question for you guys - do the Transport Police have jurisdiction on the roads generally or just train stuff?

I'm under the impression that the BTP are just like another regional force, like Tayside, Fife, or L&B, but their beat is just the rail network.
We don't really have much dealings with the local force, apart from when they see something amiss, or the BT's aren't available.

AndyP & Lenore
15th April 2004, 07:14 AM
Tractor drivers who pull all the pigsh*t out the fields onto the road and then never clean them up.:evil::evil: Mrs AndyP was not impressed when I drove through 20 yards of it two weeks ago. The tyres stunk of pigsh*t for 10 days. :I

Also hate people who think that just because you're in a MINI you cant go fast, so they sit on you're arse just waiting for an opportunity to overtake.:evil: Shame the opportunity never arises. :D All they see is the dust settling in front of them. :D

Julz
15th April 2004, 03:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP

Also hate people who think that just because you're in a MINI you cant go fast, so they sit on you're arse just waiting for an opportunity to overtake.:evil:

I get that when I drive the Porsche too!!:mad:

This week I have been mostly hating CYCLISTS!!! Unless you pay your bloomin road tax, get off my roads!!!:mad::mad::mad: They just dilly dally along, usually in the middle of the road, especially when there's 600 of them, and you can never get past them cause they always just sit and wait on you before a load of corners then start pedalling!!:mad::mad: Plus, it was because of a cyclist that Herbie got a sore bum!!
Oh, and I too hate the 45mph brigade, peeps who sit up your tail pipes (not for long though!!), peeps who don't let you out at slip roads, peeps who stay in the overtaking lane, surprisingly at 45mph and eejits who cut you up at roundabouts!! Can they not hear me????:mad::mad::mad:

Rant over (until the drive home that is!!):disapprove:

Wul
15th April 2004, 05:28 PM
This week I have been mostly hating CYCLISTS!!! Unless you pay your bloomin road tax, get off my roads!!!:mad::mad::mad:

LOL!:pJulz - many years ago I used to work on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh and go to work on my RD350LC (Classic Bikes :D) and every morning I used to see none other than David Begg on his bicycle causing havoc with the car drivers at the traffic lights by cycling down to the front and then going infront of the cars instead of staying at the side! He worked for the council at that time and was responsible for so many horrible changes to the roads system in Edinburgh at the time.:mad:

Now he gets to do the same thing to the whole of the Country!:mad:

Neil and Lorna
15th April 2004, 07:59 PM
The thing that annoys me is people who slam on their brakes, then signal their intension to turn right, look in their mirror only to see me stopping behind them. Then change their mind. And carry on anyway:mad::mad:

Julz
15th April 2004, 08:04 PM
Or people who don't even indicate cause obviously YOU should know where they're going!!:mad:

Big Col
15th April 2004, 08:23 PM
Or people turning right joining a road that sit in the middle of the lane when there would be plenty of room for two cars so that you wouldn't have to wait for them to get across 2 lanes if they just moved CLOSER TO THE CENTRE LINE!!!

Gismo
15th April 2004, 08:39 PM
Whilst trying to get onto the north bound dual carriageway and sitting in the middle of central reservation and then some bright spark cannot wait and pulls up beside you so you can't see past their car to see the oncoming traffic :evil:

Julz
15th April 2004, 09:50 PM
Police cars who try to overtake you whilst you're turning right!!:eek::mad:

GAJ
15th April 2004, 10:12 PM
Wimmin drivers!

GAJ
15th April 2004, 10:12 PM
Only kidding!;)

Burple
15th April 2004, 10:44 PM
The bright spark in the Audi the other day in Edinburgh who passed us on the INSIDE (can't remember the name of the road- the one that goes past the Zoo) while we were slowing down and INDICATING TO TURN LEFT!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::disapprove::disa pprove::dead::dead::blackeye::blackeye::eek:

Wul
15th April 2004, 11:02 PM
LnL - that be the A8 or "St Johns Road" I take it was between 9.30am and 4pm in which case he would be cursing you for driving in the outside lane - the bus lanes switch off between these times so you should have been in the inside lane anyway :I although he was still wrong for undertaking you, but this is the quickest lane into edinburgh city centre during the day!:p

Wul
15th April 2004, 11:04 PM
I'm sure KJ or zimbo will be along shortly to make some comment as to why you were going into the zoo;)

Burple
16th April 2004, 12:13 AM
ah well..
Foreigner to Edinburgh... ;)
thought I was doing the sensible thing stating out of the bus lanes... duh..
He's still a tw@ for passing on the inside tho!! ;):p

Wul
16th April 2004, 12:19 AM
Don't worry LnL 99% of the locals drive in outside lane too! Agreed he was a tw@t! :D I can't say i've never done the same myself many times on that very stretch of road but i always look out for people going left near the obvious openings.

AndyP & Lenore
16th April 2004, 04:00 AM

quote:Originally posted by AndyP

Also hate people who think that just because you're in a MINI you cant go fast, so they sit on you're arse just waiting for an opportunity to overtake.:evil:

I get that when I drive the Porsche too!!:mad:

We also get it with our Merc! AAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Astrohaggis
17th April 2004, 05:33 PM
Thought I'd add my 2p! Totally agree about the horrible 45mph brigade! Grr.

I had the misfortune to encounter a total ar$e yesterday - he didn't indicate he was turning left at a main turning out of Kirkliston, making several people wait unnecessarily, and then didn't accelerate ...at all! I really dislike people who tailgate (especially waiting to overtake lorries - don't they realise you can't see anything from there - pull back and you increase your field of vision you muppets!!!) and I avoid tailgating other people, but I ended up right on top of this jerk because I expected him to be doing more than 20mph at some point! So then he starts making unpleasant gestures at me and slamming his brakes on (still doing less than 30mph in a 60!). Unbelievable!

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with Wul a bit though! *gasp* As far as motorway road works go, I agree completely that people should stick to the "merge in turn" signals, but it's incredibly annoying when you have people who scream up and then expect to get in at the last second, and for what? To overtake maybe 4 cars and then spend the next 20 mins doing 30mph - what an achievement! The people who cut in at the last second actually slow everyone else down a huge amount, because everyone behind them has to brake so they can get in, which then ripples back down the line - if everyone stayed in one line it would be longer, but it would move more smoothly and therefore faster. (Sorry, but I have to admit that I'm one of the people who sit in the middle!!! :eek: It does force people to "merge" better though! :I)

Julz
19th April 2004, 04:07 PM
Idiots who don't put their lights on when it's dull and miserable outside, although these are probably the same muppets who put their fog lights on in every weather except fog!!:mad::mad:

Wul
19th April 2004, 05:39 PM
astrohaggis - was that the road from Kirkliston to Craigiehall/ Barnton? great stretch of twisties and that junction is horrible to get out of so totally agree with you on that one.

As for the Mway issue - if the queue is only 500 yards long from the cones then yes you are correct - but recently there has been roadworks on the M90 at the top of the big hill outside Perth and the tailback reaches almost 3-4miles in one lane - why do they put merge in turn signs then? why not close the outside lane completely for the whole road? why have 2 lanes at all - your argument lends itself to there being no need for an overtaking lane as the traffic would all go faster in one lane - of course until you are stuck behind a 40t articulated lorry crawiling up the hill at 2mph from a standing start. And where in the highway code does it say you are allowed to drive in the middle of two lanes on a dual carriageway/ motorway?
Not trying to start an argument but having spent the last 5-6 years dealing with edinburghs greenways and merge in turn signs/ bus lane times being ignored it does get frustating! the same principles apply on Mways - the signs are there for a reason.

Astrohaggis
19th April 2004, 06:09 PM
Wul - yeah, superb twisties! (Can't wait to get my MCS!) :D

Looks like we're in complete agreement about the merging issue! If there are merge signs then I merge AT the signs! I have no problem with there being two lanes. The drivers that really irritate me are the ones who try to get as close to the cones as possible before cutting in, so when everyone else merges at the signs they zoom further on. That's the only time I (occasionally!) stay further over (AFTER the signs!) so 20 Audis/Volvos don't scream past!

Gismo
19th April 2004, 06:12 PM
I must admit i detest the people who shoot up the outside lane when approaching road works, i have to agree that the merge in theory works, but, it's the mindless few who use the ploy to gain yardage (just like rugby :D) a police presence ensures this kind of thing

My latest pet hate, when approaching the bridge of dee southbound on anderson drive, a dual carriageway with a single road exit over the bridge to the A90, why do people insist on using the outside lane, only to try and drive as fast as they can around the roundabout to cut in on others using the correct inside lane :blackeye::(

Julz
19th April 2004, 07:13 PM
Suffered this problem alot recently with all the roadworks on the Kingsway!! So, I have alot of respect for the bus drivers who keep their place in line, but sit in the outside lane, preventing all these que jumping twits!!:D

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 06:07 PM
I agree about the 45mph twits, etc but I have a new one! :D bl**dy horses :dead: . I often come across horses on my way to / from work usually ridden by stupid prat who thinks they own the road. Yesterday was the worst yet - got stuck in a long que doing 2 or 3 mph to find that at the front was a young girl on one horse with another riderless horse alongside on a lead! :mad::(. High time horse were banned from the public roads :approve:. Hope I've not upset some horsey people out there ;):eek::clown:

Wul
20th April 2004, 06:53 PM
Wait till LindaM reads this Duncan - you're in for it now boy! :eek:

Mini Martyn
20th April 2004, 07:09 PM
People that smoke and try to drive do my nut in and some tit that was infront of me on the motorway (outside lane) trying to write something on a bit of paper!!

And the other people that dont use a slip road to get up to motorway speeds thinking its still a 30 intill you are on the motorway!!

Rant over - had a bad day getting into the office this morning!! :evil::evil:

Willie M
20th April 2004, 09:19 PM

Wait till LindaM reads this Duncan - you're in for it now boy! :eek:
Oh dear.... <runs away and hides> :D

Wul
20th April 2004, 10:18 PM
The guy in the Renault Megane driving at 50mph in the middle of the two lanes of the A720 at 06.30 this morning trying to empty his cars ashtray out the window, then he finally sped up only to be bewildered when I passed him looking VERY bemused!

Linda M
21st April 2004, 03:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I agree about the 45mph twits, etc but I have a new one! :D bl**dy horses :dead: . I often come across horses on my way to / from work usually ridden by stupid prat who thinks they own the road. Yesterday was the worst yet - got stuck in a long que doing 2 or 3 mph to find that at the front was a young girl on one horse with another riderless horse alongside on a lead! :mad::(. High time horse were banned from the public roads :approve:. Hope I've not upset some horsey people out there ;):eek::clown:
Duncan, I know you're being a bit tongue in cheek here, and I'm not having a go at you, but I still have to comment as this strikes a real nerve with me. First of all that girl should not have been leading another horse with no rider so she was at fault.

I've ridden horses on roads since I was 12yrs old but over the past 7 years I had to ride on main roads every day and it was very, very scary and contributed to me giving up last year.

The reason folk ride on the roads is because a: not everyone has acres of land to ride on b: it's good for the horses and c: we are not provided with bridleways unlike England which is polluted with them!!!The roads for horses have just become way, way to dangerous and everyday without fail I had cars, vans, lorries flying past me giving me about 6 inches. I was very unlucky to be involved in a nasty accident a few years back when my horse got a fright and jumped out right onto a passing cars bonnet where myself and the horse landed, it was VERY frightening.

I am a very, very experienced horse rider but no one can ever be certain when a horse will jump with fright so please, please pass WIDE and SLOW around horses because we do have a right to be there and there's now a bit in the highway code about passing horses :)

PS. the guys car was wrecked but he was a real gem about it all, he actually phoned me up a few days after to see if myself and the horse were ok :)

Julz
21st April 2004, 04:09 PM
I must admit, I have to agree with Linda!! There are very few places for people to take horses these days, and I have been known, where possible, to ride on pavements as so many motorists seem to forget that a horse does have a mind of it's own and does not take kindly to being given a fleg!! I have bad memories of being out one day, covered head to horses arse in high viz for some twit, in a white van surprisingly, to fly past me and blast his horn:eek::mad:, thankfully my horse was that dippit it took him about an hour to realise (that and he was trained near Leuchars so noise was no issue!). The country is being covered in cycleways but they are worse for horses as cyclists make no noise so the horse gets an even bigger fleg!! PLUS, there are less horse riders on the roads than bloomin cyclists!! grrrr rant over, I just hate cyclists, that's all!!:dead:

Big Col
21st April 2004, 04:30 PM
Was the horse ok Linda? Hope he wasn't terrified of roads after that.

Julz "my horse was that dippit it took him about an hour to realise" people in my office are now looking at me funny for bursting out laughing. "dippit" hehehehehehe.

Wul
21st April 2004, 04:44 PM
Don't say you weren't warned Duncan! :eek:;)

Duncan Stewart
21st April 2004, 05:04 PM
I do agree with you Linda - it is far to dangerous for horses and riders on the public road which is why they should not be there. When I do meet a horse I treat it with the greatest respect - passing as far onto the opposite side of the road as possible, in as high a gear as possible (to reduce noise). I don't want to see a horse or rider hurt or my mini damaged.
I was unaware there was a shortage of places to exercise horses off road so I stand corrected :I:clown: - here in north east fife we are lucky have lots of country paths and beaches which you often see horses on. However there is a very narrow, twisty section of road approaching St.Andrews (craigtoun road) which there is often horses out on during rush hour (usually ridden by young girls) and it fills me with horror to think I could come round one of the corners and hit a horse but what can I do? I cannot drive round ever corner at 10mph in case there is a horse there :(
I would have though that anyone wanting to own a horse should ensure there is a local place where it can safely be exercised :question:
As for Cyclists most are fine - keeping to the side of the road, obeying road traffic laws but there are an ignorant minority who ride side by side blocking the traffic and seem to think road traffic laws do not apply to them (I'm not in that minority when I'm out on my bike ;))
And I have a new one - prats who sound horns and shout abuse out of car windows at me when I am standing on the roadside waiting to take photographs of trains :approve:
OK - go on then - start the trainspotter jokes :I:clown:8)- I've heard them all before :evil:

Wul
21st April 2004, 05:12 PM
Is this you Duncan?

http://www.realhhg.com/graphics/spotter.gif

:D

Julz
21st April 2004, 07:04 PM
I agree, rush hour is not very sensible to be out on a horse, and I can understand your thoughts on Craigtoun road (designed the roads on the new housing scheme there)! As for cyclists, still hate 'em, 99.999999% on the narrow roads round my way don't even wear high viz:eek: and they stay about 2m from the kerbline and when out with their friends they never go in single file, just in a big heap!!:mad::blackeye:

Gismo
21st April 2004, 08:55 PM
Lol at Wul :D i would never, ever, ever own up to being a trainspotter ;) :blackeye:

GAJ
21st April 2004, 09:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

i would never, ever, ever own up to being a trainspotter ;) :blackeye:

You're secret is safe with us!;)

Wul
21st April 2004, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

i would never, ever, ever own up to being a trainspotter ;) :blackeye:

You're secret is safe with us!;)

Thank god we can edit our posts!:p:evil::I

Now no meddling BS!:)

Linda M
21st April 2004, 09:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Was the horse ok Linda? Hope he wasn't terrified of roads after that.
I actually sold that horse not long after as she acted a bit too freaky on the roads after that incident. Although I made sure she went to someone who didn't have to ride on the roads.
I've been interested in the comments on this. Duncan, there is a huge shortage of places for horses to be ridden safely, I worked with the BHS for years on their bridleways campaigns but didn't get very far :mad: We had a few acres of grazing but it wasn't suitable for riding on so 3 days a week I boxed my horses up and took them to a local competition arena for their training but the rest of the time I had to ride on the roads, we were near a country park which had some riding areas through it but I had to go along busy main roads to get to it.
There is also a huge problem with ignorant, inexperienced horse riders on roads too.
Julz, I had the tooting of horns 'so' many times....I mean just how stupid is that :mad:
I'm not happy without horses but I sure don't miss riding on the roads!

Duncan Stewart
22nd April 2004, 12:05 AM
It's sad to hear you had to give up your horse Linda due to a lack of provision for riders and ignorant motorists.
As for train spotters :blackeye: - There is a big group of railway enthusiasts out there and although there is a minority of rather "wacky" individuals in the hobby who only collect train numbers (thus "train spotters"). Most a great people with interest in many aspects - Current scene, History, engineering, etc. Personally I take photographs which are sometimes published in magazines, and also am interested in the history 8) .
Don't knock it till you try it :D:cool: or I might get upset and throw my thomas the tank out of my pram! ;):clown:

Duncan Stewart
22nd April 2004, 12:07 AM
Good fun this Off topic section! can you tell I've been bored at work the last couple of days:question: What was the topic for this thread anyway :question::question::question:

Big Gordy
22nd April 2004, 06:58 PM
If only I'd known earlier that you were a 'trainie' I could have given you that train book I only got a pitance for on ebay. My own fault really as I didn't get the postage cost right and only guessed <wrongly> :p:D:approve: