PDA

View Full Version : Considering a MINI/MINI convertible

pamelab21
31st January 2007, 07:14 PM
Hi all

I am new to the forum and hope you don't mind me asking for some advice?
I am considering changing to a Mini, I have been looking at either the Mini Cooper hardtop and the Mini convertible (although very expensive!).
Can anyone tell me if the convertibles have any major issues with the roofs?
Do the Minis have issues with the regulators in the elec windows?
I would be looking at at maybe a 2004 car so may not have much warranty of any so I need to make sure I am not buying problems that would be expensive to fix.

ianking
31st January 2007, 07:16 PM
We have just got rid of a convertible, Now had 5 mini hard tops and lets just say we will not be in a hurry to get another convertible.

Scottie
31st January 2007, 07:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by pamelab21

Hi all

I am new to the forum and hope you don't mind me asking for some advice?
I am considering changing to a Mini, I have been looking at either the Mini Cooper hardtop and the Mini convertible (although very expensive!).
Do the Minis have issues with the regulators in the elec windows?
I would be looking at at maybe a 2004 car so may not have much warranty of any so I need to make sure I am not buying problems that would be expensive to fix.

issues with the regulators in the elec windows?

not heard of any.

yes they did but if you are buying a 2004 model then the issue of the roof wearing will be very obvious.

ianking
31st January 2007, 07:22 PM
Ours rattled rather alot, had to get the rear windows changed under warranty as they were scratching everytime they went up and down. The soft top model never seemed as good to drive as the hard top, not as tight on the road and you certainly couldnt through it about. Nice on a summers day though (2 days per year) when you can actually get the roof down. They are cold inside and we found that the windows were always steaming up although there wasnt any obvious water leak.

pamelab21
31st January 2007, 07:23 PM
thanks for quick replies!

the reason i ask about the windows is (sorry for lack of tech terms!) when you open the door handle and the window drops to allow clearance, then when the door is shut and it moves back up into place, does this eventually wear and cause problems.
We seen a Cooper S 2004 in a garage last night and the passenger side window had stayed in the dropped position but the drivers door window was still moving so it wasn't a dead battery issue.

Scottie
31st January 2007, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by pamelab21

thanks for quick replies!

the reason i ask about the windows is (sorry for lack of tech terms!) when you open the door handle and the window drops to allow clearance, then when the door is shut and it moves back up into place, does this eventually wear and cause problems.
We seen a Cooper S 2004 in a garage last night and the passenger side window had stayed in the dropped position but the drivers door window was still moving so it wasn't a dead battery issue.

never owned a Mini long enough to know of any wear problems.:I

I had a Cabrio and never had any of the issue that Ian talks about re Sarahs car.

ianking
31st January 2007, 07:27 PM
Ive never had a prob with this on any of my mini's.
Its just a personal taste I think and I wouldnt have another mini convertible but I love the hard tops.

Mark R
31st January 2007, 09:14 PM
Never personally had any problems with my 2002 Cooper.

I have heard that there can be ocassions where the window doesn't realise it's not up and so doesn't drop when the door is opened correctly. This is usually due to it being put up but not all the way, just enough so it looked like it was shut.

Solution to that problem is to hold the toggle switch up with the door closed for a few seconds so the car realises the window is fully up and then it should drop like normal.