PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car privately, any tips?

KenL
18th January 2007, 09:27 PM
I've got a couple of people coming to view the Golf.

Anyone sold a car, privately? What would you advise?

I have to say, I am pretty nervous about the whole thing.

Thanks, KenL

Big Col
18th January 2007, 09:36 PM
Ask for £500 more than you want then everyone comes away happy.

Don't let the lure of a wad of cash make you drop your price.

Be willing to walk away from a sale.

Don't wear your gimp suit.

Don't let them take a test drive on their own.

bpirie1000
18th January 2007, 10:59 PM
Allow for Bargining..£500 should do it well done col( You bought a car from me???) ........

The PUNTER is always going to want to get one over on you so get one over on them first. haa haa that way you get what you want and they think they get a good deal also Everyone wins.

Don't point faults out. ( LET THEM DO THAT)
Look at the list of good things. i.e. low miles/service history/tax/MOT/new tyres/warranty/ optional extra's/ alloys. ETC

Be happy and tell them that you don't need to sell that way you'll get a serious offer....
Oh and Treat it like a game. fun fun fun......

Wul
18th January 2007, 11:01 PM
As above Ken - but I ususally try to meet the buyer away from my house in case they are thieves on the prowl - if theres two of them and one of you only let one go in a test drive and if they do want a test drive - get the cash in your mit first - even with you in the passenger seat - they aint insured fully comp to crash your car!

If they do but it - make sure you fill in the V5 and send it off with their details filled in.

KenL
18th January 2007, 11:02 PM
£500 over, I was worried I wouldn't get serious interest that way!

I'll only take £150 or so less than what it is up for. I don't NEED to sell as I can trade it in, so it has to be worth my while.

Any tips on how to take payment - I'm really nervous about this part.

KenL
18th January 2007, 11:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

As above Ken - but I ususally try to meet the buyer away from my house in case they are thieves on the prowl - if theres two of them and one of you only let one go in a test drive and if they do want a test drive - get the cash in your mit first - even with you in the passenger seat - they aint insured fully comp to crash your car!

If they do but it - make sure you fill in the V5 and send it off with their details filled in.

Oooh, scary.

Don't know if it is worth the hassle.

If I was buying a car, I would not deal unless I saw the car at the house it was registered at.

ianking
18th January 2007, 11:32 PM
Take a cash deposit of say £500 for a car of your value. Then when they take it away accept a bankers draft, or cash or get them to do a BACS into your account, but make sure you can actually draw the money before you let the car go. I have sold and bought a couple of expensive cars privately in the last couple years and I prefer to do the money bit with me and the other party actually in the bank itself. Plenty security cameras and all the transaction can be done without actually having to count the money or even touch it yourself as the bank will count it or transfer it electronicaly.

KenL
18th January 2007, 11:40 PM
Yes Ian. Doing it in the bank is the best way. I sold a Punto privately before getting my first MINI. We both went into the bank. He handed over his switch card and I mine. Within seconds the money was in my account and available. This way is actually completely safe as once the money is in, they cannot get it back.

snooze
19th January 2007, 12:15 AM
just exaggerage the good parts/things about the car!

KenL
19th January 2007, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by snooze

just exaggerage the good parts/things about the car!

No need to exaggerate, it is damn near perfect :p

Scottie
19th January 2007, 03:58 AM
re payment. don't do cash or only if your in a bank let them count it and check it.

No way do a bankers draft.

best get them to do a same day transfer CHAPS PAYMENT.

Then CONFIRM with bank all is in order before you hand over the car.

AndyP & Lenore
19th January 2007, 04:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

re payment. don't do cash or only if your in a bank let them count it and check it.

Why so Fi?

Scottie
19th January 2007, 04:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Why so Fi?

well 99% of people buying cars will have a genuine bankers draft.

then you have the 1% with the fake bankers draft but you don't find out until a good few days after and the car has been handed over.

Takes that amount of days for the draft to go back to the issuing bank or rather the bank that has been printed on the draft only for them to reject the draft which in turn = no money for the seller.