PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Warranty

ajamesj
18th January 2007, 06:58 AM
I was thinking of taking out an aftermarket warranty for my Mini since BMWs warranty runs out in March 2007. Has anyone had any experience with these companys and recomend any to me. This was not going to be an issue but since the car is needin parts replaced just now while still under warranty I thought it might benefit me to get one.

Andy

Moonshine
18th January 2007, 07:43 AM
i had a warranty direct 3rd party warranty and didn't rate it. My gearbox bearing went about 3/4weeks out of bmw warranty, and WD wouldn't cover it as there needed to be a 90 day period for pre exixting probs or something before they would accept liability. I ended up paying for the refurb myself at an independent garage as it was about half the bmw cost, even inc. goodwill gesture they offered. i couldn't take the risk that WD would not pay once i got the work done.

I prob wont ever use them again.

I think you are better either paying for the BMW warranty or saving your premium and using it when and if something goes wrong. just my experience.

Gerry

Mark R
18th January 2007, 09:37 PM
Just got my letter asking if I wanted to extend my warranty. They were looking for about £500. Not sure how long that would cover the car for but there was also a £100 excess to be paid on every repair.

As the cars milage increases there are also more things that they won't cover as they expect them to break down through normal wear and tear at that point.

To me it's just not worth it at all. Would be better putting all that money into an account and just save it till something happens.

KenL
18th January 2007, 09:46 PM
£500, is that for 1 year? Sounds very expensive and I agree with you Mark.

If finances allow, I will not own a car outside of warranty in the future, especially one that's as expensive to fix as a MINI!

james f
19th January 2007, 03:20 AM
ive got warrntys direct and tbh its a hassle as you have to pay bmw then claim the stuff back from them and and you usualy pay for inspection

thb as ken said i woulndnt have it agian as its a hassle as given the chance i would have taken the bmw warranty cos that way they pay for it if theres a claim ture you have to pay a 100 quid exess

but for stuff on warrntys direct you have to to pay bmw for inspection so its about the same in the end cost wise per claim without the hassle of claming it back from warrmtys direct

put it this way if another bit of my car brakes im looking at buying a cherised car from mini that has a bmw warrnaty on it :(

duncan
19th January 2007, 03:51 AM
The cost of the 1 year MINI warranty and the fact I was needing 4 new tyres when my One was 3 years old was enough for me to trade it in for a new Cooper.

I didnt see the point of paying not far off £1000 for a car that wasn't going to be fundamentally better, when I could spend that cash on a new one.

james f
19th January 2007, 05:14 AM
tbh duncan im so very close to doing the same at the moment found a very nice S on cherised that cos it has no options on i can afford to insure for even less than i pay on my cooper :)

Mark R
19th January 2007, 05:30 AM
Grrr. :p Now you've got me looking at trade ins too.

james f
19th January 2007, 06:05 AM
lol sorry mate i was in the mind set of it stays forever but i love having a good warrnty too much as ive never owned anything else apart from the mini kinda wish i had experinced some bangers first as i think i have ot higher standards when it comes to cars

duncan
19th January 2007, 06:50 AM
Oops, Sorry guys!