PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista

Gismo
14th January 2007, 05:24 PM
Anyone trialled the soon to be released Windows Vista??
Any thoughts etc, i have 3 PC's at home and wondered if it's gonna be worth buying a 3 user license for it.

illegalhunter
14th January 2007, 05:31 PM
that will sting over £300 id get one just to make sure there are no major glitches that interact with your existing software & it will end up bootlegged any way

Gismo
14th January 2007, 05:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer
that will sting over £300 There are some already on eBay for much less, not too woried about the cost at the moment, just wanting to get peoples opinion of it ;):p:)

macblob
14th January 2007, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't touch it for about 2 years, it will no doubt take microsoft that long to iron out all the bugs!!!

niknax
14th January 2007, 08:52 PM
wont be buying it for a couple of years either...bugs and compatability with my workin equipment will be a big issue, xp works fine for me, and i believe its a pc resource hugger :p

duncan
15th January 2007, 02:35 AM
I have it installed on an old Hard Drive i had doing nothing.
Its got a nice look to it, much prefer the Vista black default colours to the grey XP one.

Would have liked to have all the correct drivers downloaded, but to be honest, I couldnt be bothered.

I would prefer a higher spec PC to run it rather than what I have just now, a 2.4 P4

macblob
15th January 2007, 06:36 AM
If you want a different look to XP this is pretty cool
http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx

Im running it on my laptop cause i didnt really like the look of XP

Burple
15th January 2007, 09:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

If you want a different look to XP this is pretty cool
http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/invader.aspx

Im running it on my laptop cause i didnt really like the look of XP

bootiful.. I've been looking for something like this for a while, and I didn't want to download any from some random "Download themes free" site :D:D:cool::cool:

that's MUCH better! :cool::D

macblob
15th January 2007, 10:13 AM
Glad you liked :) its a nice gui

Burple
15th January 2007, 07:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Glad you liked :) its a nice gui

<installs at work>
Yup it's nice!! Goes very nicely with my black and blue Firefox Theme! :cool::cool:

macblob
15th January 2007, 07:19 PM
You might find stuff on here you like to http://www.wincustomize.com/index.aspx
Some nice login skins etc

Gismo
15th January 2007, 07:55 PM
It's not an interface i'm looking for :evil: it's for info on Windows Vista and whether anyone has used it :p
If you wanna talk about other stuff 8) start your own thread ;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th January 2007, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

It's not an interface i'm looking for :evil: it's for info on Windows Vista and whether anyone has used it :p
If you wanna talk about other stuff 8) start your own thread ;)

Right Mr Grumpy-pants. Bet you always wanted a double barrelled name?:clown::I

Alan, to be honest, I really wouldn't install Vista until it's been tested to death by the masses. I remember when ME came out and Microsoft insisted it was stable, compliant and basically the best thing since sliced bread. Oh dear. We all know what happened with that. Second edition with 3bazilion bug fixes released within 6 months.

There's no way I will be installing Vista on my home or work PC's until there's a clear reason to do so.

A.:D

Gismo
15th January 2007, 08:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Right Mr Grumpy-pants. Bet you always wanted a double barrelled name?:clown::IThanks for the new name, as per my original post 8):evil::p i'm only looking for info on whether anyone has used it, i'm well aware of the bug issues on previous platforms :I and the mega downloads ;)

Burple
15th January 2007, 08:59 PM

Right Mr Grumpy-pants. Bet you always wanted a double barrelled name?:clown::IThanks for the new name, as per my original post 8):evil::p i'm only looking for info on whether anyone has used it, i'm well aware of the bug issues on previous platforms :I and the mega downloads ;)

Couple of people at work have installed it on a couple of machines, but not particularly new machines, for the same reasons as everyone else..
They say pretty much the same too.. it's ok, but no-one's putting it on their everyday machine for a while yet! Not until they're sure it's not bug ridden....

Gismo
15th January 2007, 09:09 PM
Cheers Ewan, i'd be looking at getting Vista approved XP Pro install disks anyway so that when the bugs are all ironed out i can install at my leisure.

I'm still looking for info on the Vista experience though, like 3d browsing, the file search feature etc etc
Vista would appear to be more user friendly than XP with a lot of nice touches :):p

Gismo
11th February 2007, 01:01 PM
Well, i took the plunge and installed Vista, not as buggy as i thought it was gonna be, have spent ages trying to find everything, have used the old classic style a few times to get what i want etc.
All in all, not as bad as i thought, only took about 20 mins to install :)

euan
11th February 2007, 10:49 PM
They spent a lot of time trying to sort out the install time and get it down.

I've played with a pre-release version, but not the released one. I thought it looked great, but nothing brilliant in it for me as a home user to switch to.

A load of guys at Microsoft were running it on their laptops prior to the release. Every time they used it for demos and powerpoint presentations, it crashed ;) However, I'm sure they've fixed that now.

Gismo
11th February 2007, 10:55 PM
Not one crash, IE7 works faultlessly where on my XP machine the IE7 continually crashed my computer, so, be warned, don't download IE7 onto an XP machine.

SO far Vista is behaving itself, as you mention, not many real reasons to change other than for the sake of it.

One thing that won't work is my works web based e-mail, i can read but cannot reply to e-mails, the text page is a big grey square ;) but then, i don't really need to be reading my works e-mails at home on my time off.

One thing that rfuses to work is my Epson scanner, but then i knew that before i installed it, i did try to get it going but no way

AndyP & Lenore
11th February 2007, 11:32 PM

Not one crash, IE7 works faultlessly where on my XP machine the IE7 continually crashed my computer, so, be warned, don't download IE7 onto an XP machine.

I've downloaded IE7 on one of our work PC's and my home PC and laptop. No problems anywhere. No crashing at all. Still hate it though.:(

One thing that won't work is my works web based e-mail, i can read but cannot reply to e-mails, the text page is a big grey square ;) but then, i don't really need to be reading my works e-mails at home on my time off.

You've never got anything interesting to say in your emails anyway.:eek::blackeye::D;)

A.:D

Gismo
12th February 2007, 12:09 AM
You've never got anything interesting to say in your emails anyway.:eek::blackeye::D;)
A.:DShaddup you :p

X30YES
13th February 2007, 06:27 PM
"To run Windows Vista Home Basic, your computer needs at least:
A modern processor (at least 800MHz).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

To run Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate, your computer needs at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
1 GB of system memory.
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero
128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability."

I quite like the look of Vista and thinking about a new laptop with it installed ,any ideas to the difference between "Basic and Premium"

Gismo
13th February 2007, 06:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
I quite like the look of Vista and thinking about a new laptop with it installed ,any ideas to the difference between "Basic and Premium"Apart from the price ;) with the basic version you don't get the cool Aero theme desktop with flip 3D, a must if you ask me, see this Windows Site (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx) to help you choose.
Buy the software much cheaper at Microdirect (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=16275&GroupID=69) it's approx half price

X30YES
13th February 2007, 06:52 PM
Nice one Alan and as you say Aero /3D is a must ,off to check the ram !!

Gismo
13th February 2007, 06:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
Nice one Alan and as you say Aero /3D is a must ,off to check the ram !!I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1 Gig of Ram for any of the editions, i have 2 Gig and it really seems to make a difference :)

X30YES
13th February 2007, 07:00 PM
1gb installed so thats good a start :)

euan
13th February 2007, 07:30 PM
You also need to check your graphics card is supported by Aero - there is a check on the MS site somewhere.

The Dogfather
13th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Sorry, but it doesn't offer that much more than OSX, if I could offord the Mac version of Office I'd ditch the PC in a heartbeat

euan
14th February 2007, 12:30 AM
Is there a reason you need Office?

Open Office does most stuff you can do in office, and is available on Mac OS.

The Dogfather
14th February 2007, 01:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

It does! Of to find a download

euan
14th February 2007, 02:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

quote:Originally posted by euan

It does! Of to find a download

Sorry for thread hijack!!!
http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.2/index.html

The Dogfather
14th February 2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks Euan

The Dogfather
14th February 2007, 04:01 AM
Oooo, it has an Access compatible database package.......... new tricks

Scottie
14th February 2007, 04:08 AM
Windows Vista Flunks At MIT
The reason? The software isn't yet ready for 'productive and safe computing.'
Feb 9, 2007 - By Paul McDougall Courtesy of InformationWeek

Tech staffers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are warning professors and administrators at the school -- host to one of the country's most prestigious computer science departments -- not to upgrade desktops or laptops to Microsoft's new Windows Vista operating system because the software isn't yet ready for "productive and safe computing," according to an internal statement posted on MIT's Web site.
Specifically, MIT's department of information services and technology is warning computer users at the school away from the Enterprise Edition of Windows Vista. The reason, according to the Web posting, is that many critical security and productivity applications aren't yet compatible with the OS.
Among the applications or utilities that MIT's IS&T department is concerned about are Cisco's VPN client, Mathematica technical computing software, MIT's Athena Clusters authenticated printing environment, and SAP's SAPgui graphical user interface for SAP R/3.
The document indicates that MIT as a whole will begin to migrate to Windows Vista once more compatible applications and utilities become available. One reason: Vista's enhanced energy utilization features alone will save the university more than $1 million annually in reduced energy bills.
For now, though, the following is the IS&T department's recommendation to workers at MIT: "If you are purchasing new computers, we recommend purchasing the machine with Windows XP."

http://www.networkcomputing.com/show...leID=197004804

Scottie
14th February 2007, 04:11 AM
also I know that I can't install yet on my Laptop as a lot of the banks software have not yet been how can i put this e'mm checked that it will work with Vista.

Also I know that some bank transaction software company say like Microbank which is a package used to raise direct debits again not sure it will work with Vista.

Scottie
14th February 2007, 04:14 AM
After five years of starts, stops, executive shuffling, feature rethinks and delays, Windows Vista is finally complete. ItÕs available to corporations already, and starting Jan. 30, itÕs what youÕll get on any new PC. Its programmers, who probably havenÕt seen their families in months, will have an especially merry Christmas this year.

Looks

Windows Vista is beautiful. Microsoft has never taken elegance so seriously before. Discreet eye candy is partly responsible. Windows and menus cast subtle shadows. A new typeface gives the whole affair a fresh, modern feeling. Subtle animations liven up the proceedings.
If the description so far makes Vista sound a lot like the Macintosh, well, youÕre right. You get the feeling that MicrosoftÕs managers put Mac OS X on an easel and told the programmers, ÒCopy that.Ó
Here are some of the grace notes that will remind you of similar ones on the Mac: A list of favorite PC locations appears at the left side of every Explorer window, which you can customize just by dragging folders in or out. You now expand or collapse lists of folders by clicking little flippy triangles. When youÕre dragging icons to copy them, a cursor ÒbadgeÓ appears that indicates how many youÕre moving. The Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons glow when your cursor passes over them. ThereÕs now a keystroke (Alt+up arrow) to open the current folderÕs parent window, the one that contains it.
Some of the big-ticket Vista features and programs are eerily familiar, too. The biggest one is Instant Search, a text box at the bottom of the Start menu. As you type here, the Start menu turns into a list of every file, folder, program and e-mail message that contains your search phrase, regardless of names or folder locations. ItÕs a powerful, routine-changing tool, especially when you seek a program that would otherwise require burrowing through nested folders in the All Programs menu.
A similar Search box appears at the top of every desktop (Explorer) window, for ease in plucking some document out of that more limited haystack.
New programs include the Sidebar, a floating layer of single-purpose programs called gadgets ( Apple called them widgets) like a weather reporter, stock tracker, currency converter, and so on; Photo Gallery, a deliciously simple shoebox for digital photos; the bare-bones DVD Maker, for designing scene-selection menus for home-burned video DVDs; and Chess Titans, whose photorealistic board can be rotated in three-dimensional space.
Flip 3-D, which presents all open windows in all programs as cards in a floating deck, seems to be modeled on Mac OS XÕs ExposŽ feature Ñ minus the ability to see all the windows simultaneously. You have to flip through the ÒcardsÓ to find the one you want.
Now, before the hate-mail tsunami begins, itÕs important to note that Apple has itself borrowed feature ideas on occasion, even from Windows. But never this broadly, boldly or blatantly. There must be enough steam coming out of Apple executivesÕ ears to power the Polar Express.
Even so, brazen as it was, the heist was largely successful. Vista is infinitely more pleasant to use than its predecessors. ThereÕs more logic to its folder structure and naming scheme. Things are easier to find. Fewer steps are required to perform common tasks, especially when it comes to networking.
And besides, not all of the new goodies fell from the Apple tree. The new grouping, stacking and filtering options give you efficient new ways to parse the masses of files in a window. If you have a spare U.S.B. flash drive, your PC can use it as extra main memory for a tiny speed boost. Windows Speech Recognition isnÕt as accurate as, say, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, but itÕs beautifully designed and much better than previous Microsoft attempts.
Laptop luggers will love the clever new Sleep mode. It combines the best of the old Standby mode (everything stays in memory so itÕs ready to go when you reopen the lid) and the old Hibernate mode (after several hours, Windows commits all this to the hard drive to save battery power).

sh@z
14th February 2007, 06:30 AM
Damn spammage! (no wonder top poster! :p)

Vista on the whole is releasable. MIT's main concern is it's not 100% fit for their as they use very specific software and it may take time to update said software to run properly on Vista. This is not ONLY a problem of vista, but of both vista and the software companies.

With regards to software you have that may not work with Vista, i presume most software that can run on XP should run OK on Vista (barring a few exceptions) as Vista is not a major change in terms of the file system and whatnot from XP, its more eye candy and user interface malarkey it seems. The software you are concerned about, presumably has a website, and when their software is certified A-OK for use with Vista, they will put it on the website, or even contact their support people and see what they say.

shaz out.

Scottie
14th February 2007, 06:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

With regards to software you have that may not work with Vista, i presume most software that can run on XP should run OK on Vista (barring a few exceptions) as Vista is not a major change in terms of the file system and whatnot from XP, its more eye candy and user interface malarkey it seems. The software you are concerned about, presumably has a website, and when their software is certified A-OK for use with Vista, they will put it on the website, or even contact their support people and see what they say.

shaz out.

I've no idea I just know we got told not to accept the automatic upload to vista. Now that all direct debits have to be raised using Bastel-IP which Microbank offer a interface to get it from our custom design software into a form to be able to transfer using the internet. and that's all I know.

sh@z
14th February 2007, 09:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

shaz out.

I've no idea I just know we got told not to accept the automatic upload to vista. Now that all direct debits have to be raised using Bastel-IP which Microbank offer a interface to get it from our custom design software into a form to be able to transfer using the internet. and that's all I know.

Hence the problem lying with specific software, and custom designed stuff, not Vista itself.

Gismo
14th February 2007, 09:20 AM
Hence the problem lying with specific software, and custom designed stuff, not Vista itself.Hmm, not strictly true, Microsoft aren't exactly fast at dishing out the code that software creators need to make sure their particular software will work in the Vista environment

sh@z
14th February 2007, 09:23 AM
They aren't? The beta testers have had the software for over a year now for development purposes. Most major software will work with Vista no problems, just the performance hogging which is putting me off a tad.

euan
14th February 2007, 05:48 PM
I seem to reacll that one of the issues people had with Vista was that MS said all software drivers etc must be signed by Vista to be "approved" for use on it. This is why half of Microsofts own products (autoroute etc) were not Vista ready till quite late (I think some are still not).

Now some of this is slack software houses not updating software. I think part of it is also that people are not expecting a huge rush to go out and buy Vista as people have been put of by Microsofts record.

Banking websites etc that cannot run under Vista - I think they probably would but only under Firefox as it's more likely IE7 that causes the problem. Other software probably use existing Microsoft system calls to enable them to function (why write something if it's already there?) and then Microsoft have changed the code so it no longer works.

I'm going back to my geek corner now...

broken_brian
20th February 2007, 01:51 AM
Had a shot of my mums vista based computer didnt like it could not see anything better it just looks slightly flashier will stick to xp for the time being and ie 7 crashes my computer as well so it got binned.

PS: Get a mac as osx is way cooler

GAJ
25th July 2007, 12:40 PM
I got Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate and installed them on my laptop last week. No problems so far (apart from my DVB-T stick not working with Windows Media Center), haven't noticed it being particularly resource hungry.

Still not a patch on Mac OS X though.

X30YES
25th July 2007, 09:37 PM
I got Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate and installed them on my laptop last week. No problems so far (apart from my DVB-T stick not working with Windows Media Center), haven't noticed it being particularly resource hungry.

Still not a patch on Mac OS X though.

Read something about the DVB-T stick on a page on ebay I think ,how to get it to work if you had problems .......Something about uninstall and reinstall a couple of times seems to work ..if I can find the page I'll add a link etc................my problem is getting the moden to kick in ,seems that the D-link one I have does'nt support Vista yet ???

GAJ
26th July 2007, 11:01 AM
I think I saw that too. Not spent much time trying to get it working tbh. Get annoyed with windows - so many hoops to jump through to do anything!