PDA

View Full Version : Beckham

euan
14th January 2007, 01:05 AM
I've avoided talking about him so far what with his monster contract and that not many people on here are football folks, however he went too far today.

This just shows the level of the boy, when he says he talked to Tom Cruise before he signed up for LA Galaxy for £55 million a season. He says Tom is a "very wise man". Now, Becks is 31, I'm 31 in a few weeks. I've never called any of my mates "wise men". Bunch of tools maybe, but wise men, never. On top of that, your talking about Tom Cruise - the man who binned Nicole Kidman for Katie Holmes. Shrewd business man yes, wise? Ghandi was wise, I'm not putting Tom bloody Cruise in the same boat.

Rant over. Hope he enjoys the football wilderness - he won't get picked for England while playing over there, and his profile will go down here as well - maybe that's what he wants. And anyone who is offered £55 million a year should take the job, I know I would.

duncan
14th January 2007, 02:53 AM
Perhaps he was comparing Tom Cruise with himself?

Scottie
14th January 2007, 05:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

I've avoided talking about him so far what with his monster contract and that not many people on here are football folks, however he went too far today.

This just shows the level of the boy, when he says he talked to Tom Cruise before he signed up for LA Galaxy for £55 million a season. He says Tom is a "very wise man". Now, Becks is 31, I'm 31 in a few weeks. I've never called any of my mates "wise men". Bunch of tools maybe, but wise men, never. On top of that, your talking about Tom Cruise - the man who binned Nicole Kidman for Katie Holmes. Shrewd business man yes, wise? Ghandi was wise, I'm not putting Tom bloody Cruise in the same boat.

Rant over. Hope he enjoys the football wilderness - he won't get picked for England while playing over there, and his profile will go down here as well - maybe that's what he wants. And anyone who is offered £55 million a year should take the job, I know I would.

I would if becks will be in to scientolgy (spelling)??;)

duncan
14th January 2007, 05:59 AM
Only if Beckham his agents can make money out of it!

vintageb3
14th January 2007, 06:18 AM
My fav Ghandi saying was...

"ner cast a clout till May is oot!"

errr... I think that was Ghandi???

mark

Burple
14th January 2007, 06:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by vintageb3

My fav Ghandi saying was...

"ner cast a clout till May is oot!"

errr... I think that was Ghandi???

mark

Sounds like our very own font of many a wise sayings, Shielz! ;);):D:D:p:p:p

minidriver#1
14th January 2007, 07:32 AM
I think Becks knows his England career has been in a slump for a while and he was cutting his losses at Real and took possibly his dream job in the states. I don't think anyone can really fault his thinking on this. It looks like the best move for himself and his family. That's a lot of money, i know i would do the same thing.

Gismo
14th January 2007, 02:53 PM
Poor LA Galaxy won't know what's hit them, the press will be overwhelming, i appreciate the USA raise their sporting heroes onto higher plains than we do in the UK, but, nothing can prepare them for the forthcoming onslaught of the rabid british and world (world outside of the USA) so called press.
At the end of the day, he's there to play and encourage youngsters to play football soccer :p the whole media thing will ruin everything for the club and it's youngsters.
The only winner will be Becks and Co, agents etc.

Good luck to him though, he reckons he will succeed where real players have failed, including Pele ;)

minidriver#1
15th January 2007, 03:23 AM
I disagree, i can't see how the media would effect the young player football development. At the moment the American media is not interested in Soccer, Becks or no Becks and what attention there will be will die down eventually just like it has with his previous life events.

If anything this move is a good one for the American game, more press coverage will increase awareness of the sport and perhaps children will look up to players like Becks and Edgar Davids and see them as inspirational... just the same way that Tiger Woods changed golf forever and for the better.

Gismo
15th January 2007, 01:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit
I disagree, i can't see how the media would effect the young player football development. The media circus has already started, look at the hassle his misses has received already, she's only gone to look at houses and schools.
The constant media attention must have an impact on the youngsters, Becks will never be finished fighting past the media with many press people finding vantage points to film and photograph any training that takes place.
Time will tell :p