PDA

View Full Version : Puncture-Run Flats

miniminx
12th January 2007, 04:23 AM
Hi,

The wife's mini has a puncture in the front tyre & as these are run flats, what I would like to know is can this be repaired or are we looking at a new tyre?

If it is a new tyre how much are we looking at?

Also, is it ok to drive on for a short journey?

cheers
Mike

duncan
12th January 2007, 04:35 AM
Runflats can be repaired - however, like any tyre, it depends where on the tyre it is punctured.

Try www.blackcircles.com to price up the size you're after if its not repairable.

miniman06
12th January 2007, 04:52 AM
scott from menzies here. give me a wee phone at menzies and i will give you a price if it does need replaced remember nms discount, cheers

ianking
12th January 2007, 05:47 PM
As your in the Borders go and speak to Stuart at Ostles in Galashiels. He takes care of my tyre needs and he is very good with run flats. He has a special machine for fitting the run flat tyres.
He told me that run flat can be repaired if you dont drive on it when its punctured and if the hole is near the centre of the tread.
They are very careful with your wheels as well.
Im sure the Pool's go there as well.

Neil and Lorna
12th January 2007, 08:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

As your in the Borders go and speak to Stuart at Ostles in Galashiels. He takes care of my tyre needs and he is very good with run flats. He has a special machine for fitting the run flat tyres.
He told me that run flat can be repaired if you dont drive on it when its punctured and if the hole is near the centre of the tread.
They are very careful with your wheels as well.
Im sure the Pool's go there as well.

Hi There.

Went to Ostles with a puncture in the summer.

"Nope we don't repair runflats" I was told. Don't know if you spoke to somebody different Ian but that's what they told me.

Kwik Fit by the police station in galashiels fixed it £15 rings a bell but may be wrong.

As its been said already they can be fixed so long as its not to close to the tyre wall.

I think if they have been driven on completely flat then there could be safety issues which tyre dealerships are a bit concerned about.

My puncture was a nail in the middle of the tread. I noticed it when parked in Kelso one day. The runflat warning light wasn't on, I went round to some of the Kelso tyre shops for them to have a look they all said nope new tyre. We then drove slowly to Galashiels the warning light came on just outside Kelso. I telephoned Ostles that's when they said no, Phoned Kwick fit no problem, drove at 30MPH to Kwick fit in Gala. On the go again in 30 Mins.

So in closing I think my tyre may not have been completely flat when I arrived at Kwick fit.

Hope this helps.

Neil.:D:D:D

miniminx
13th January 2007, 03:40 AM
Thanks guys but now got it fixed

I took it to a local tyre place here in hawick & when he looked at it he said depending on where the puncture is it will determine wether it could be repaired or not.

Lucky for us it could be & only cost £13.

Jobs a goodun:D

Got some funny looks this morning though when taking the car in, as the deflated rubber makes a hell of racket on the tarmac, & that was going no faster than 20-30mph.

All this meant the wife had to take my beemer to work:eek: Just going to inspect my alloys in the morning for kerb marks:D

Mike

Mon the fish
13th January 2007, 03:57 AM
I got told by EVERY garage in Stirling (including Menzies), that runflats cannot be repaired. I know they can, because JC's in Aberdeen fixed a puncture on my old Cooper.

The excuse I was given was that "We don't know if you have driven it with no air in it. Therefore we can't take the risk to repair it as the tyre could be damaged." Despite me guaranteeing that there had always been air in it, and the hole was right in the middle of the thread...

Oh, and when they're flat they make a hell of a grumbling sound!