PDA

View Full Version : Broken passenger wing mirror

macblob
16th January 2004, 05:43 PM
Some wee git has twisted my passenger wing mirror so that it no longer fits with the base of the car. Booked it into Dunedin this morning to be looked at this afternoon, possible fix but perhaps a new mirror (just the casing as the clip in cover and mirror glass are ok).......gggggggrrrrrrr:mad::mad::mad:

Anyone got any ideas how much i might be looking at to get this fixed?

Parts dept at dunedin wasnt open when i was there this am

GAJ
16th January 2004, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Brian. Hanging is too good for them!

Scheckter MC
16th January 2004, 06:25 PM
A couple of months back, a kid ran out into the side of my car just as I was accellerating off a roundabout. He didn't damage the car bodywork (thankfully!), but took the drivers wing mirror clean off - the white cover and glass were fine. A couple of the wires into the mirror body itself were severed, and a funny looking washer was knackered (looked like it held the whole thing on?!). Anyway, I stripped the whole wing mirror down, and removed the parts mounted on the door itself (a hassle removing the door trim for acess!).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it looked from my inspection like I only required a new washer and mirror wiring loom to fix everything, but Mini don't do these separately, so it was a new wing mirror frame complete with wiring, but no glass or cover.
Cost me £25 inc VAT, and I fitted everything back myself.

Phew

macblob
16th January 2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks guys,

When I looked at the mirror this morning it looked like it was only the washer thing that is missing that holds the mirror on to the mounting on the bodywork... everthing else appeared to be ok, however I couldnt see any wires so cant say whether they were ok or not.

macblob
16th January 2004, 11:36 PM
Top marks to Dunedin!!!!

Went in after work today to have the mirror looked at, and have been rebooked for next Friday, they are going to replace the part required under warranty.

Well chuffed with that result :D:D:D

Willie M
19th January 2004, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage macblob :disapprove: Good to hear it's all getting fixed soon.

GAJ
19th January 2004, 05:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Top marks to Dunedin!!!!

Who'd have thought it!;)

macblob
24th January 2004, 10:38 PM
Took car into garage on Friday, New mirror housing fixed :D

Mechanic thought the brakes were very soft though :disapprove:
Rebooked to be looked at this morning (sat).
Master brake cylinder is buggered.......warranty repair......Got an 03 MINI desiel to kick about in till Tuesday as new cylinder cant be ordered till Monday.

Just realised on the way home how crap my brakes actually were as i nearly go through the windscreen in the MINI D everytime I touch the brakes.

Glad its all getting sorted but it is yet another thing to add to the long list of warranty claims on the car since new.

I have to say Dunedin's service has been good this time :D

Fontal
24th January 2004, 11:33 PM
My brakes have been feeling a little dodgy of late too, a bit soft and sometimes the peddle feels a bit hard and the ABS kicks in straight away :(

Not another trip to Aberdeen Im skint :(

KenL
25th January 2004, 04:40 AM
Fontal, ask a local guy to have a look at it for you. They "should" be able to give you an opinion for free.

duncan
26th January 2004, 02:55 AM
Could you ask JC's in Aberdeen if there is a local garage that can look at your car on their behalf, seeing as your so far from them?

Does mini emergency service ship you back to the mainland?:eek:

macblob
28th January 2004, 02:16 AM
Car is still in Dunedins :disapprove:

Master brake cylinder thingy replaced today........still no difference to the brakes.

They now think it maybe the abs pump, so having to order that, might be fixed tomorrow if that sorts it.

They might aswell gimme a new car as not much is left of the original on this one anyway lol.

Very scared about the prospect of owning a my MINI out of warranty, i mean if id been paying for this repair I wouldnt imagine it would be cheap!!

Wul
28th January 2004, 06:07 PM
Join the club macblob - especially when the 3rd year of the warranty is conditional on all servicing being carried out by a MINI dealer - so when you are in your 3rd year and your TLC is all used up it's time for some expensive services! :(

macblob
29th January 2004, 02:19 AM
Need to ask everyone a question

Got the car back today from Dunedin.

New master cylinder for the brakes and new ABS pump fitted. However although the brakes feel ok, there is still a bit of travel in the pedal compared to the MINI one D i had as a courtesy car.

If i have the engine running and let the handbrake off, when I apply the foot brake it presses down until roughly in line with the accelerator pedal. Is this about right or should the pedal feel firm before then?
What does everyone elses brakes feel like (Standard cooper or ones preferably)

Thanks B

Big Col
29th January 2004, 03:04 AM
There's nowhere near that much travel in my cooper.

Gismo
29th January 2004, 04:35 AM
A very quick and nasty way to check that the system is working and this in no way means the brakes are working properly is, to get in the car, depress and release the brake pedal until it feels firm. Ooerr missus, then whilst keeping your foot on the pedal with a reasonable amount of force, start up the engine.
You may have to use your left foot for the brake to leave your right foot for the throttle ;)
As the engine starts the pedal should move downwards :eek: this is good and means that the system is working, however, if you still feel that the pedal is spongy or not quite right, then ask for them to look at it again.
Since i changed to the AP brakes my system is way better, this could be just down to the better fluid and hoses though.

Bonnie Scotland

macblob
29th January 2004, 07:47 AM
Cheers for that info BS, ill give that a wee try in the am :D

I think the brakes do feel better but just not as good as the MINI D i had for a few days, mind u it only had 5000 miles on the clock and my wee one has 27000 or something like that.

macblob
30th January 2004, 02:04 AM
Tried what you suggested this am BS. Got it hard hehehehe, with engine off, kept pressure on it with my left foot and started the engine and the pedal decreased.

Also popped into Dunedin on the way home, so I could try another of there MINIs against mine as a comparison and tried a cooper. Brake pedal in that felt about the same as mine i must admit , so maybe just in my head. Was good to try another car side by side, made me feel better.

Might get some new front pads anyway :D

What is the wear like on the green stuff pads compared to the standard MINI pads?

Big Gordy
30th January 2004, 03:03 AM
Not to bad macblob about the same as standard but with less dust IMHO :p:D:approve: