PDA

View Full Version : Good day in the MINI, where should we go tomorrow?

vintageb3
7th January 2007, 07:54 AM
Had a great day out today. I didn’t get up until late this morning…last few days of my holiday so I’m being real lazy.

I kept looking outside…and it didn’t look all that great weather wise…so didn’t make a great deal of effort to get moving.

Then the sun came out…so I made a mad dash to pick Kim and the car up.

I didn‘t have a clue where to go really…just knew the bad weather can’t be far away…will be back to work on Monday…and if the sun was out…a wee run in the MINI was order of the day. Yesterday we went for a run along the Fife coast. Landed up going to St Andrews and Tentsmuir Forest/Kishaldie Beach…so going back along that way was a waste of time.

So we headed for Glenrothes…err yes…Glenrothes. I hate the place….well I like the roundabouts now…but still hate the town.

Headed up to Leslie…then decided to head up to the Lomond Hills. Its all single track roads…plenty of twisties…but really too dangerous to be speeding on. We took our time and enjoyed the views.

The light was good…and the sun was out…so the top came down. Kim couldn’t believe that 15 minutes from her house lay this beautiful place that reminded her of much further up north. Kim is South African…has only been in the country about 8 years…so is still trying to get a feel for Scotland. We went over the hill and into Falkand…then headed for Auchtermuchty. I took her up through the end of “Muchty” to show her the oldest house in the village. We renovated it back in the late 80’s then took the left fork in the road. I knew about a couple of houses up that road that were interesting. One of them was Jimmy Shand’s house…and the other used to house a recording studio…and some of the early Simple Minds stuff was recorded there. I told Kim I had never been up this road before…so lets just keep going.

Well…the road run out…and it was onto Forestry Commission tracks. It was 10 MPH stuff for a while…roads were clean enough…no pot holes…but it was worse than cobble stones. But it was beautiful!...views of valleys I had never seen before. I was amazed at the amount of cars parked up in the forest. I mean…there were hill walkers and mountain bikers and folks having picnics.

We eventually reached tarmac! Somebody had played about with the road signs…so we decided to take a left…and down through Glenfoot past the Scottish Off-road Centre. This actually took us back in to Auchtermuchty…but what the hell! We hit a sign for Newburgh. Drove down to the shore…and could see Dundee across the Tay. Left Newburgh headed along to the Baiglie Inn and up through Glen Tarkie down through Strathmiglo.

All in about two hours.

Had me thinking that after I have done a few MINI runs and get the experience of what folks need from a run there is indeed loads of interesting roads in and around Fife that most of you won’t know about.

I of course would omit the Forestry Commission rallye stage from the itinerary!

Where do we go tomorrow???

mark

Scottie
7th January 2007, 08:06 AM
what about a trip to Callander then do the inver troassachs road then maybe take in Loch Katrine you good then carry on to Aberfoyle and do the Stronachlacher end.

vintageb3
7th January 2007, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

what about a trip to Callander then do the inver troassachs road then maybe take in Loch Katrine you good then carry on to Aberfoyle and do the Stronachlacher end.

GOOD CALL!!!!...But...first place I went with the car when I bought it...me not silly...me know the fun roads ;)

Was just thinking about the road to Rannoch Station ;) Been years since I've been up there...but if I'm not mistaken...one road in...one road out????

Maybe a wee trip up to Glamis Castle...then hop over to the A9 and head for home...don't know that direction too well...so could be fun.

Thanks Fi!

mark

sedgie
7th January 2007, 08:23 AM
Take the mini doon the lake district.....loads o fun roads there!;):D:D

Neil and Lorna
7th January 2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Mark

Some of the roads you mention there we recce'd for the Secret Bunker run.
We had to rule some of them out for the very reason you said a wee bit narrow.

The road up to East Lomond is superb but getting 25 Minis up and down would simply of been a nightmare.

Anyway good luck on your next MINI adventure it just proves that no matter what the roads are like you can have a ball in a MINI.

Neil and Lorna.:D:D:D