PDA

View Full Version : Some music/mp3/conversion questions...

AndyP & Lenore
5th January 2007, 06:17 AM
Over the Christmas period we bought a few 2Disc Music CD's. Most of them compilation CD's. On each CD there is a selection of tracks which are excellent and a few which we don't like so much.

What I want to do is make a CD up of our favourite tracks from all these CD's.

Am I right in saying the only way to get more than 15 or 16 tracks on one CD is to convert the files to MP3 format? And if I do convert them to MP3 format how many can I realistically fit on one CD?

Also, will Windows Media Player 10 do everything I need - convert to MP3, make up a play list then write to a blank CD?

Or am I talking bollocks?

For the avoidance of doubt, and to stop the nay-sayers from the kick-off, all the CD's were bought with proper cash in a proper shop.

A.:D

james f
5th January 2007, 06:27 AM
windows media should be fine for it any if you convert it to an mp3 CD (your defo right about only having 15 or so tracks otherwise) but if its a compressed mp3 cd the 30 or 40 albums worth should fit on without much hassle

duncan
5th January 2007, 06:33 AM
Yes, WMP10 will rip the tracks you want to a folder - it'll probably name the tracks for you too provided its in the album database.

You'll have to go to the settings to change from the default rip option (wma) to MP3, and select the quality - mines set to 192 kbps which is good enough for me.

At that rate a 4 min track will be roughly 6Mb and a standard CD holds 700ish Mb so you'll be able to get easily 100 tracks on a blank CD.

As for burning back to a blank CD, either find the file, and drag and drop using Windows Explorer or play about with the Burn options on WMP.

AndyP & Lenore
5th January 2007, 06:52 AM
Cheers guys.

Will get stuck in to this and see how I get on.

weefossy
5th January 2007, 07:07 AM
Andy, I love making up compilation CDs and I can usually get about 17 "wav" files / tracks onto a 700mb / 80min CD, unless it's a prgressive rock compilation where I get about 3:D:D.
The favourite music of many an old f@rt;).
I also use "sound editor" to get rid of wasted intros and faids which take up a load of space.

AndyP & Lenore
6th January 2007, 02:46 AM
Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Changed my RIP settings to mp3 and 192kbps. RIP'ed a couple of CD's to the PC. But now when I try to compile a list to BURN to a blank CD, it still only allows 80mins. So I can still only put about 17 - 18 tracks on a CD. Am I using the wrong type of CD? Its a Philips CDR-80 48X. Or did I have another setting wrong in my RIPping settings?

A.

duncan
6th January 2007, 03:37 AM
Not sure where it is on WMP 10 - I'm running WMP11 now, but you'll need to change it to a Data CD rather than an Audio CD.

On WMP11 if you right click the tab that says "BURN" you can choose what type of disc you want.

Wul
6th January 2007, 04:20 AM
Andy - use windows explorer to drag and drop the MP3 files to the CDR rather than WMP10 - that way they stay as MP3's - however - depending on how you have named your tracks (filenames) you may find the MP3 cd plays in a different order to your compilation - the reason for this is most MP3 players play the tracks back in alphabetical order - to get round this you need to put them in track order with a number on the front followed by a space and make sure 1-9 are typed 01, 02 etc etc. Makes it a whole lot of hassle though.

Personally i prefer itunes - you can create a play list of your compilation and burn them as data or sound files from iTunes.

As for the 17 tracks problem - this is simply down to the length of the tracks - more short tracks mean you can fit more on the CD etc etc.

AndyP & Lenore
6th January 2007, 04:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Not sure where it is on WMP 10 - I'm running WMP11 now, but you'll need to change it to a Data CD rather than an Audio CD.

On WMP11 if you right click the tab that says "BURN" you can choose what type of disc you want.

Cheers Duncan.

Tried that and it worked a treat.

Now got a pile of about 15 CD's to rip and start making my own compilations with.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

duncan
6th January 2007, 05:02 AM
No problems, glad you got it working. :)

Burple
6th January 2007, 06:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by james f

windows media should be fine for it any if you convert it to an mp3 CD (your defo right about only having 15 or so tracks otherwise) but if its a compressed mp3 cd the 30 or 40 albums worth should fit on without much hassle

Actually, depending on the length of the songs.. you can get up to about 21 ;):D

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2007, 04:19 AM
Got my first CD of mp3 tracks compiled and burned last night.

120 tracks from a variety of albums.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edit: Should have said, WMP10 was okay. Did the job, but it often found the wrong information for CD's, getting the track names completely wrong. That caused a bit of confusion at first.:(

PACMAN
7th January 2007, 04:33 AM
Nero is must better :I;)

AndyP & Lenore
7th January 2007, 04:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN

Nero is must better :I;)

Cheers. You'd be a great one to have around after an emergency.;););)

A.:D;)

PACMAN
7th January 2007, 04:37 AM
:eek::D

Gismo
7th January 2007, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by PACMAN
Nero is must better :I;)Nero does not rename the tracks though :I
Another after the emergency 8) musicmatch, i have it and paid for the lifetime upgrade, gets the track names and album artwork :)

duncan
7th January 2007, 08:17 PM
I used to use the free version of musicmatch for ripping discs, however, it became just as easy when WMP9 began to allow ripping and burning discs.

WMP11 downloads the album art and track names, and if it doesnt find the cover, you can just search Google Images for the right one, then copy and paste it :)

The Bull
8th January 2007, 07:38 AM
Try using iTunes. It does everything really well and is easy to use too!

X30YES
8th January 2007, 05:02 PM
try using a bigger disc Andy ,or a DVD will take 1000's