PDA

View Full Version : Alloy wheel problem

vintageb3
3rd January 2007, 07:03 AM
Hi Guys...

I took off one of my Alloys today. I was quite surprised it was in such good nick on the inside....well apart from where the wheel touches the hub. Corrosion has started at that point and has spread out about a half inch onto the wheel. I know this is because two different metals are touching...and because the previous owner was to lazy to take the wheels off every now and again and remove brake dust/salt.

Its been years since I have owned Alloys...and I'm sure there was a material you could put between the hub and the Alloy to insulate between the two metals.

Is my memory correct?....or am I about to patent something here? :)

Of course a set of aluminum wheels spacers would take the punishment...and add looks :)

Any tips?

mark

james f
3rd January 2007, 08:45 AM
when lohen did my barkes they always put cooper grease on the hub befoure putting the wheel back on

vintageb3
3rd January 2007, 08:56 AM
Ah!...well I did think of coppaslip today...but wondered if that was going over the top...

I have some so will apply...to studs as well...

Thanks James!

mark

redpoint rallying
3rd January 2007, 11:37 PM
Be aware of putting copper grease on the wheel and especially the studs. You only need the very barest of smears. Too much on the back of the wheel where it contacts with the hub may prevent it from sitting on it properly. As the grease disperses over use, you can end up with a wheel that is loose. Effectively you can end up with a 'space' between the wheel and the hub,where the grease used to be.....loose wheel. Same with the wheel bolts/nuts. Dont put to much on (REALLY, THE THINNEST OF SMEARS WILL BE ENOUGH..barely enough to see!)

Hope that helps

M

Wul
3rd January 2007, 11:55 PM
I use a very scarce smear of copaslip too - the wheels still stick to the hub after a while but no-where near as bad as when nothing's been put on - as redpoint says - be very careful though - a wheel stuck on is better than a wheel that flies off!! :p:D

Gismo
4th January 2007, 12:17 AM
I never put any form of grease on wheel studs or bolts :eek: a thorough clean and wipe down and then the finest amount of oil plus a regular check of the tightness should suffice

Scottie
4th January 2007, 01:04 AM
so this wheel flying off thing. Wouldn't the wheels nuts need to come loose first.:question: I think the likely hood of this happening is like 1% you would really need to slap on the stuff first I mean really thick like how some ladies apply their makeup.;)

james f
4th January 2007, 01:14 AM
i wouldnt ever put it on the studs and nor did lohen they only put a small ammount on the hub (after cleaning the wheel as well) but then ive had to hammer a wheel or 2 off with a rubber mallet and not even they have been too bad

vintageb3
4th January 2007, 01:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying

Be aware of putting copper grease on the wheel and especially the studs. You only need the very barest of smears. Too much on the back of the wheel where it contacts with the hub may prevent it from sitting on it properly. As the grease disperses over use, you can end up with a wheel that is loose. Effectively you can end up with a 'space' between the wheel and the hub,where the grease used to be.....loose wheel. Same with the wheel bolts/nuts. Dont put to much on (REALLY, THE THINNEST OF SMEARS WILL BE ENOUGH..barely enough to see!)

Hope that helps

M

Hi M...

I'm used to greasing machinery...a little is too much in most cases...

I was also concerned about the coppaslip getting thrown on to the wheel

I was only going to smear the ends of studs as well...

Thanks!

mark

redpoint rallying
4th January 2007, 03:27 AM
Yep. If in doubt, dont use it on the wheels or studs...just regularly clean em!

Scottiecoop - Think of it this way - too much grease is put on, you then tighten the wheel studs as normal and as normal they press the back of the wheel onto the hub, compressing any grease you may have put here. In time the grease 'disapears' through centrifugal force, weather etc. This now leaves a small gap between the back of the wheel and the hub where the grease was....your wheel, as a consequence is now not firmly bolted on. We are only talking less than milimetres here (hopefully!)but it can make the difference so 'potential greasers' need to be careful.

As for the studs, personally I would'nt grease them as you dont want them loosening due to the grease. But if there are people oot there desperate to grease em....put next to nothing on!(the bolt!)

I too have had the 'sticking alloy' on my MINI and instead of greasing the back of the wheel, I lightly copper greased the inner diameter of the centre....that the 'ole in the middle...and not the back of the wheel. This solved the 'sticking wheel syndrome' without any possibility of a loose wheel later on.

Hope thats a wee bit clearer..

Cheers

M

X30YES
5th January 2007, 12:14 AM
Copper slip or Molly paste will do .....I'll bring some onshore if you want Martin....pick up at The house of Sully ..(10th Jan ):p;)

bpirie1000
5th January 2007, 01:26 AM
Co-Efficient Of Friction......

Don't get me started.....

supposed to be non work related forum..

But simply. The first few Posts are correct. Slight smear will do the job.. and You CAN OVER Torque the Wheel studds if you use to much Copper or Molly slip....

take that as a warning

AN03REW
5th January 2007, 02:15 AM
Good tip, If wheel is tight to come off of hub. Boil your tea pot with water then poor it over hub. Wheel comes right off with no effort. Nice we trick when stuck. I use alittle bit of grease on bolts and hub to keep it fresh.