PDA

View Full Version : COOPER 'S' Gremlins

ELFMAN
15th January 2004, 06:18 PM
Right, G3 ELF has done a grand total of 337 miles, and he's off to the dealer for a fix :mad:

When raising revs gently from idle (stationary in neutral) there's a small metallic noise which goes as the revs rise. Spoke to workshop and they reckon it could be a bearing problem in a pulley (which they've had before:disapprove:).

Other problem is when coming to a halt under engine braking, all is OK until almost stopped, and then the engine seems to “release” and coast forward for a second as if there's NO engine braking:question: which necessitates a quick jump on the brakes:blackeye:.

It's booked in and the rather officious service bloke said that I'd “have to demonstrate the problems on a road test with the Foreman”. Look mate, I'm busy, it's faulty, just fix it:mad:. Tosser.

Anyone else had anything similar on the 'S'? Let's share the sorrow:(

Gismo
15th January 2004, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles, not sure on the engine rattle but, for the engine coasting, well, i think that is kinda normal.
It would depend on your feeling for the coasting as i'm sure the engine management system "shuts down" at low speed to prevent stalling, as i've not sat in your car and experienced this i can't be certain.
I'm afraid it may well be wise for you to demonstrate this to the foreman as i've no doubt they will report nothing wrong.

Good luck and keep us posted

Bonnie Scotland

Willie M
15th January 2004, 09:49 PM
I can't recall noticing this on Linda's S, either in pre or post modification guise. Then again, I don't get to drive her car very often :(:disapprove: I do tend to 'engine brake' quite a lot (to tight to replace brake pads ;)) and, like Alan, I have noticed this 'anti-stall' type scenario on other cars.

Hope you get things sorted. Please do keep us posted.

KenL
15th January 2004, 09:55 PM
ELFMAN. I know you may be busy but it is far better to go out with someone to demonstrate the problem than get your car back to be told "no fault found".

Good luck anyway.

ELFMAN
15th January 2004, 10:29 PM
Point taken, folks.

It IS better to try to demo. the problem (if it is indeed a problem - if it isn't, I'm off to get it chipped!). The service guy's attitude was a bit snooty - a hint of “you'll have to prove it”. Got my back up a bit.

ELFMAN
22nd January 2004, 08:42 PM
UODATE.

Metallic noise - Checked by Dealer. Now booked in to have new Tensioner fitted to pulley.

Engine Braking - (hiccup when slowing at 2000rpm in 2nd). Dealer agrees this is not right, and is contacting BMW for advice/info.

At least I'm not imagining things. Now if only I could get rid of those big purple spiders from my spaceship.........

Big Col
22nd January 2004, 09:38 PM
You should see a Doc about that. Getting purple "spiders" on your "spaceship" is no laughing matter. You should've read the rubber mats thread and taken our advice.

<awaits the award for the most tenuous double innuendos ever on NMS>

Burple
23rd January 2004, 01:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
You should see a Doc about that. Getting purple "spiders" on your "spaceship" is no laughing matter. You should've read the rubber mats thread and taken our advice.
<awaits the award for the most tenuous double innuendos ever on NMS>

I REALLY hope for your sake they don't start barking!!! ;):D:D:D:cool::dead:

Gismo
23rd January 2004, 05:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN
UODATE.
Metallic noise - Checked by Dealer. Now booked in to have new Tensioner fitted to pulley.
Funnily enough, BBR maintain the BMW idler is a weak part in the car and replace it with a cosworth equivalent when performing engine upgrades ;)

Bonnie Scotland

ELFMAN
30th January 2004, 05:06 AM
Update 29/1/04:

Pulley/Idler rattle problem sorted by Dealer, software hiccup hopefully getting fixed mid-Feb, when they get the “fix” from the factory. Dealer also fitted my shiny chrome handbrake F.O.C. and washed/hoovered the car. I take it all back......well, most of it.