PDA

View Full Version : 30.4 Miles to the gallon in my Cooper S

vintageb3
31st December 2006, 06:39 AM
Well...I have had a chance to do some moterway driving at last with my S. I was doing 70mph most of the time...with blasts of higher speeds at times...and the OBC says I'm returning 30.4 MPG.

I was only getting 22MPG around town...OK...22MPG around coners then :)

I'm quite pleased with 30.4MPG...well if the OBC is to be believed. How accurate is the OBC?

I now realize that it is the Supercharger that drinks the fuel. I was starting to panic about fuel consumption...but I think I can live with 30MPG on long runs.

Its funny....my Renualt Master van will do 70mph with 1.5 tonnes on its back...and returns 40MPG.

Granted...it is less fun...

mark

stoney
31st December 2006, 06:48 AM
thats not that good i have a s works and can get over 35mpg on a moterway doing 70mph

illegalhunter
31st December 2006, 06:50 AM
TIME FOR A TUNE UP THEN VINTAGE

vintageb3
31st December 2006, 06:53 AM
OK...advice then...is this a dealer tune up?

Thanks

mark

illegalhunter
31st December 2006, 07:06 AM
me no the stealers will rob you as per usuall go to a specialest mini tuner lohen maybe its a treck but thats what they do mini + 210bhp upgrade is only £700

vintageb3
31st December 2006, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

me no the stealers will rob you as per usuall go to a specialest mini tuner lohen maybe its a treck but thats what they do mini + 210bhp upgrade is only £700

The Lohen 210 upgrade looks good...its the one that stands out for me...but surely this is a modification not a tune up?

To be honest I'm not ready for that...and the trek down there puts me off.

Surely if the car has TLC the MPG should be one of the things that the dealer has to listen to the owner about?

I haven't yet had the car serviced...the previous owner just had a service done by Eastern Motors a few weeks before I bought the car.

I still have warranty on the car....and I'm wondering if the manifold is blowing...(sounds like a ticking noise) and if 30 MPG is poor as you two guys sugest in your posts...maybe its something I need to see about before the next service.

I would have thought that if the manifold was blowing....fuel consumption would be a lot less than 30MPG though.

mark

Gismo
31st December 2006, 07:28 AM
I had an MTH remap on my cooper and not only did it cure the yo yo, but, it also improved the MPG by around 4 - 6 mpg :approve:

Craig
31st December 2006, 08:19 AM
Speak to Simon at Essentialmini.co.uk. He can do the MTH remap that BS talks about. It is only about £250 and it increases bhp, MPG and smooths out the power delivery..:D:D

Scottie
31st December 2006, 08:23 AM
speak to me I can sell you a MTH cable;) mind you not to sure if your mac would be able to handle the files.:p

vintageb3
31st December 2006, 09:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

speak to me I can sell you a MTH cable;) mind you not to sure if your mac would be able to handle the files.:p

Ah my dear...you forget that my Mac is a PC too :)

Is the cable USB?

mark

Mon the fish
31st December 2006, 09:12 PM
Yep, MTH improves the mpg.

As does the JCW kit...;)

stoney
31st December 2006, 11:26 PM
well that may be why mine is better then :)

james f
31st December 2006, 11:29 PM
my mate has the GTT 220 and he gets 37 mpg most of the time when drving normaly lot cheeper and better than the works kit imo