PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Mon the fish
29th December 2006, 02:15 AM
At the moment I use a Speedtouch USB modem to connect to the web (via TalkTalk).

I've got another modem, a SmartAX MT882 (which I got from TalkTalk).

I'm perfectly happy with the USB modem, but I now want to get on Xbox live. So I need a wireless router (to allow the Xbox to access the web). So I need to use the MT882 modem (which has Ethernet).

So I need a wireless router to go between the modem and the PC, to allow the Xbox to access the web without the PC being on. Can anyone recommend a decent, relatively cheap wireless router I can use for this?

duncan
29th December 2006, 02:29 AM
I can highly recommend the BT Voyager 2100 which I have, however, its got the Modem built in to the wireless router, so may not be as cheap as you would like one.

Gismo
29th December 2006, 02:39 AM
Depends on how much you wanna spend but this one is good (http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=5625&GroupID=291)

euan
29th December 2006, 02:44 AM
Netgear make, for me, the most reliable network bits about. I've a 3com and wish I'd bought a Netgear.

Dlink also make good stuff, but maybe a bit more expensive than the one BS has listed.

stoney
29th December 2006, 04:03 AM
i have the netgear one and it is very good

vintageb3
29th December 2006, 07:07 AM
Netgear wired...great router...and also have a airport express for Wifi.

mark

sleepyrascal
29th December 2006, 08:07 AM
you dont need a wireless oruter for xbox live. In fact, you dont need a router atall. You can just use a crossover cable plugged directly into your computer and to the xbow. However, it is slightly easier to connect if you have a router.

I use bt's home hub. Im not sure if its the fastest one out there or not. I know it is up there with the best of them. But regardless, its still far far quicker than my max internet connection, and quicker than it will be in the foreseeable future.

minidriver#1
29th December 2006, 09:16 AM
I'm using a NetGear wireless router and it's perfectly happy serving 3 laptops and an Xbox 360. Works a treat.

davesminis
29th December 2006, 09:21 AM
I use a netgear system at work which is really good and a bt voyager - as above - at home which is also very good. either way is good.

The Bull
30th December 2006, 01:49 AM
Yip Netgear are great. I have the DG834G and never had any problems with it.

Linksys are ok too but not quite as good. They are owned by Cisco so know their stuff.

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2006, 09:36 AM
We're also using the Netgear Wireless DG834G V2 and it works great on our PC (Ethernet) and laptop (Wifi), and now also my Nintendo Wiiiiiii (Wifi).

A.:D

AeroJonny
30th December 2006, 09:38 PM
Yup, I'm running a Netgear modem/router and it does the job just grand for the pc(hardwired) and my laptop(wifi), I'd tell you the model number but it's 2 floors down and I'm as lazy as they come ;) But on the bright side at least the range is pretty good!