PDA

View Full Version : When you modify your MINI.........................

Crombers
23rd December 2006, 03:56 AM
do you tell your insurance company EVERYTHING:question:

Up until this morning I was insured with Budget Car Insurance. A few months ago I phoned them to let them know I had fitted the Aerokit. "What's that then" they asked" I then explained 'la de da' about the fact that it was a MINI/BMW factory fit option. OK that's not a problem , they said, "we'll let you know,
I heard nuthin back.
Phoned them a couple of weeks ago to tell them I had fitted a 'cat back' Playmini zorst.
I heard nuthin back , again.
A couple of days ago I thought to myself , hang on a minute this just does'ny feel right.
Another phone call yesterday morning & this time someone takes notice. "OK I will check with the underwriters sir , give us a call back in the morning"
This morning I called to check & I was told that none of underwriters would insure me with the modifications I had made.
Budget did not seem to like any modification from standard at all regardless of whether it originated from BMW/MINI or not (as if my MINI is heavily modified!!!).
Quick phone call around the houses & Adrian Flux came to the rescue.
I now have my MINI insured with them for £LESS£ than it had cost with Budget.

Lesson being , make sure your insurer knows all about your car & don't assume they know their stuff.

illegalhunter
23rd December 2006, 04:02 AM
sh*t i just changed to this lot 4 days ago how much are you payin then

KenL
23rd December 2006, 04:07 AM
Glad you got sorted but...

quote:Originally posted by crombers

Up until this morning I was insured with Budget Car Insurance. A few months ago I phoned them to let them know I had fitted the Aerokit. "What's that then" they asked" I then explained 'la de da' about the fact that it was a MINI/BMW factory fit option.

...I thought the Aero kit was a dealer fit option not factory?

Crombers
23rd December 2006, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Glad you got sorted but...

Up until this morning I was insured with Budget Car Insurance. A few months ago I phoned them to let them know I had fitted the Aerokit. "What's that then" they asked" I then explained 'la de da' about the fact that it was a MINI/BMW factory fit option.

...I thought the Aero kit was a dealer fit option not factory?

it is , Budget just don't like it

Crombers
23rd December 2006, 04:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

sh*t i just changed to this lot 4 days ago how much are you payin then

It's all relative really , depending on age, driving record & post code. Let's just say that I,m well under £300 :)

illegalhunter
23rd December 2006, 05:14 AM
well iam payiny £320 mfor fully comp with 8 years ncb 3 pts not speeding looks like they are gettin the elbow when the s shows up its £420

james f
23rd December 2006, 06:41 PM
i loved ad flux as when i move the car of the comapy insurnace and modd it there the only ones who will cover me

Ivano
23rd December 2006, 10:08 PM
Adrian Flux are great, i have always had my cars insured with them due to modifications. They hav insured all 3 MINIS i have owned.

The service they provide is excellent!!!

Ivano

do you tell your insurance company EVERYTHING:question:

Up until this morning I was insured with Budget Car Insurance. A few months ago I phoned them to let them know I had fitted the Aerokit. "What's that then" they asked" I then explained 'la de da' about the fact that it was a MINI/BMW factory fit option. OK that's not a problem , they said, "we'll let you know,
I heard nuthin back.
Phoned them a couple of weeks ago to tell them I had fitted a 'cat back' Playmini zorst.
I heard nuthin back , again.
A couple of days ago I thought to myself , hang on a minute this just does'ny feel right.
Another phone call yesterday morning & this time someone takes notice. "OK I will check with the underwriters sir , give us a call back in the morning"
This morning I called to check & I was told that none of underwriters would insure me with the modifications I had made.
Budget did not seem to like any modification from standard at all regardless of whether it originated from BMW/MINI or not (as if my MINI is heavily modified!!!).
Quick phone call around the houses & Adrian Flux came to the rescue.
I now have my MINI insured with them for £LESS£ than it had cost with Budget.

Lesson being , make sure your insurer knows all about your car & don't assume they know their stuff.

ELFMAN
24th December 2006, 01:40 AM
I'm with Adrian Flux too, they seem to be one of the few companies who aren't baffled if you modify the car. Isn't there a wee discount if you're in a car club too? I seem to remember that when I joined them... could be havering again though. Ask them!

My A.F. insurance is also a 'like for like' policy where if it all goes t*ts up, my modded bits will be replaced, not just with standard parts, it also includes a Breakdown service which was half the price of the AA for the same thing.... I've found them to be pretty much 'on the ball'.

MartinSullivan
24th December 2006, 08:40 AM
I use Greenlight, every mod (and there are a lot) on my car is detailed on the policy and will be replaced in the event of an accident. If its a "custom" modification they will give a cash payment up to the value of the mod. Been really pleased with them and they were cheaper for me than AF.

Burple
26th December 2006, 12:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I use Greenlight, every mod (and there are a lot) on my car is detailed on the policy and will be replaced in the event of an accident. If its a "custom" modification they will give a cash payment up to the value of the mod. Been really pleased with them and they were cheaper for me than AF.

Ditto!
They even put Ellie on my policy for free too!
And the guy on the phone was really helpful. Without any prompting at all he told me I'd be better off (ie cheaper) not takuing their breakdown cover cos I have Mini assistance :D I was gonna tell him, but he got hat in first. Nice one! :D:cool:

weefossy
27th December 2006, 05:46 AM
An "outsource person" from NU Asia argued with Sioban that there was no such thing as a Convertible Works so they couldn't insure it!! Saying that, Neil was with NU and they paid out without any problems.